Six Mile Lake

Bcrdi911

Well my buddy and I made our way up to Six Mile Lake yesterday in hopes of finding some Pike. We got there around 9am and got the boat in the water in the driving rain. It was pouring, high winds and cold!!! The water was so warm there was a constant haze rising from it. Looked pretty neat when it was being blown all over the place by the wind. Made our way out there and hit some weed beds. Could only find some smallies that decided to bite when they weren't supposed to!! Quickly back into the water they went. The rain stopped around 1pm and then cleared up a bit. The wind was still high so we made our way into a quiet sheltered bay and threw some lures at some weeds in there. Couple casts in with a spinner bait I had a solid hit. I lost the fish at the boat but I wasn't sure what it was as it was long with weird markings on it. A couple casts later, it hit again. This time I landed it and I found out it was a bowfin. I've never caught one before nor seen one in person. Pretty cool looking fish!!! Took a couple of pictures and back into the water it went. That pretty well wrapped our day up. All in all we had a fun day out there despite the rain, wind and cool temps. Hopefully the picture I attached comes through!

bowfin.JPG

Great report! Congrats on your first Bowfin too...I've seen them swimming around, but have never caught one myself. Despite the weather, you had a good day out there...looking forward to more posts. Oh yeah, your pic came thru perfectly!