I just picked up a gopro a few weeks ago to record my fishing this season. I'm curious what settings everyone uses and if they had any examples of footage. Please include your camera model, preferred method of mounting, your video settings and any advice!

I've recorded some hockey so far and had some nice footage.

Thanks!

I just picked up a gopro a few weeks ago to record my fishing this season. I'm curious what settings everyone uses and if they had any examples of footage. Please include your camera model, preferred method of mounting, your video settings and any advice!

I've recorded some hockey so far and had some nice footage.

Thanks!

I have about 400 examples of footage I have shot with mine…take a look here……..https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj99GM-EGBhHYh9tBhnLPeA

1080p @ 60fps is my standard, I play around with slowmo lots, wvga at 240fps is best slomo result but you need good light and qulitry is not HD. 720p gives you 120fps, better but jumpier results.

1440p gives very clear pics but jagged edges, only really good for tripod , not moving shots. The rest of the settings get really pro, for those using RAW and doing lots of work in editing.

HAVE FUN….AWESOME LITTLE GADGETS!

Just got a Hero 4 Silver and happily collecting gadgets for it. (Boy, if only I had a 3d printer!).

Tried building a few DIY attachments like a short handle. Saw a nice cannonball idea today I might mod a bit.

I really want to try the underwater wifi hack this summer. Rumors of someone losing his favorite reel last year in Balsam...

Looking for high power , cheap, cheap, cheap underwater light probably also as Balsam ain't St. Clair for sure.

GoProPole.jpg

Edited by Raycaster

I have one and use it a ton for fishing. I love it!!!!

Regarding settings .... its best to watch a bunch of YouTube videos on that - there is a TON of good info out there.

The wifi signal does not transmit underwater, but you can use a coax cable to transfer the signal up through the water and then use your smartphone as a viewfinder. I've done it and it works. It's cumbersome though. There are a couple videos on YouTube on how to do it.

The BEST accessory I bought was a battery eliminator cable. Combined with an auxiliary battery pack you get almost unlimited run time without heat build-up. I don't have to worry about carrying multiple batteries, keeping them charged, or running out of juice at a crucial point. I even installed a USB power jack in the front of my boat just to power my GoPro.

http://www.amazon.com/Switronix-DVGP3USB-Battery-Eliminator-10-Feet/dp/B00JXNX6BU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429794273&sr=8-1&keywords=gopro+battery+eliminator

Edited by MrSimon

One more thing .... the "loop" feature is awesome!!!!!! Especially when recording a day of fishing.

Basically, the camera records 5 minutes of video (or longer intervals if you want) and at the end of the five minutes, it starts over-writing the beginning of the recording. If something exciting happens in the boat, you hit the button and it locks in the last five minutes only.

It allows you to let the camera run for a long time without filling up the memory card.

When on the boat, I mount the camera, set it to loop and let it go. When someone catches a fish I hit the button to lock in the last five minutes, hit the button again to set it rolling and keep going. At the end of the day I don't have to sort through hours of footage looking for fish. It's a great way to capture and entire fish battle from hookset to release. No more of the "oh, I've got one, turn on the camera" stuff.

Mr Simon did you use normal coaxial cable? I have 100's of feet of cable but they seem to use the RG174u stuff?

10 - 15' depths are what I hope for but concerned about visibility and the need of a high power light.

Never heard of the loop function - thx - will look into that, probably good as a dashcam util also.

Mr Simon did you use normal coaxial cable? I have 100's of feet of cable but they seem to use the RG174u stuff?

10 - 15' depths are what I hope for but concerned about visibility and the need of a high power light.

Never heard of the loop function - thx - will look into that, probably good as a dashcam util also.

I'm not sure what I used. I just grabbed a random roll from the basement. I can check tonight. You have cut back some of the shielding from both ends. I found that the amount of un-shielded wire I left sticking out made a difference in signal strength ... it needs to be calibrated to the wifi signal's wavelength or something. I just fiddled around with it until it worked ok.

I attached the camera to a 10' pole and ran the cable up the pole. It seemed to work fine, but it was such a hassle in the boat that I gave up.

I just ordered a Vexilar FishPhone camera .... I'm hoping it will be a lot easier to use.

MrSimon, darn, was actually thinking of running down to Princess Auto and grabbing a cheap pole to mount the camera!

Just thought it would be fun playing with and my kids might get a kick out of it.

How was the video quality at 10'?

Just wondering how dark 10' down in Balsam with the weeds would be and if I could see the bottom.

I used it for snorkeling in Tampa and the quality was great.

Just wondering about Balsam's water visibility at 12' with healthy weeds.

Might need a 12V underwater light since I'd be tethering anyways.

Or I could just wait patiently for a awesome ofc member to pm me about possibly lending a Vexilar FishPhone camera for a day or 2... :whistling:

Hey Raycaster.

While you're at princess auto grab a 200 lb power retrieving magnet and some rope. Might luck out if that reel you're looking for has some metal on it;)

As for editing software what do you guys use? I have a bunch of raw footage from the past couple seasons but have never really tried to put an edited video together.

The GoPro Studio software is actually amazing. I use Adobe Premiere/After Effects etc. but besides needing to convert the input video to cineform avi the Free GoPro Studio Software is more than adequate especially for slo mo effects.

A 200 lb. power magnet... hmm.... my son has a old metal detector hanging in the garage.. hmm... How far would a normal man go to retrieve a mid-range $250 reel? I do have a friend that scuba dives too.. Man, I have to get a life!

MrSimon did you post any video from your underwater gopro pole adventure?

Could always mount a GoPro off a trolling cannon ball too but less direction aiming control.

https://youtu.be/0vwqJlAp4a0 That is my latest video but if you look at my channel all but 2 videos are recorded on GoPro.

I use a GoPro Hero 4 Silver. I recommend it for fishing because of the touch screen feature. If you fish for a while and it is filming with no fish, you can use the touch screen to delete the unwanted footage right out on the water. You can Also quickly view footage to make sure your camera angles are right. I film on 1080/60, although I noticed YouTube is now supporting 4K so I may change to that in the future.

All of my videos have the head mount which gets great POV shots, however I recently purchased the suction cup mount made by GoPro and it's pretty awesome. It allows me to mount it anywhere I want or bring it if I am on a friends boat. I don't have any videos out with it yet but I have filmed with it and I will be posting the video in a month when the Detroit River Walleye run is finished, it's a compilation video.

Other than that have fun, it adds a whole new dynamic to fishing!