Port Colborne, Sugarloaf Marina, Walleye

jeffya2

The schools of walleye move alot. At various times of the summer they can be found anywhere in the eastern basin. Often they are 4 to 6 miles out but occasionally can be found a couple miles off the lighthouse at Point Abino. Not sure how familiar you are with Erie but a calm lake can kick up pretty quick and turn a nice day of fishing into a dangerous situation. I wouldn't take a senior out unless you were in a 20 foot boat or greater. You really have to monitor the marine forecast.

Alternatively, you could try for pike in behind the breakwall at the marina or travel to the mouth and launch at Nicholl's Marina. Just past the Peace Bridge you can pick-up walleye bottom bouncing harnesses. The current is strong getting there.

Good luck!

Crystal Beach is a good place to start in June the later in the summer you get fish off Port Colborne then off Dunnville ...mostly 5 to 8 mile runs out in the lake and like HG said watch the wind kicks up fast ...i live out there in the summer doing charters for Walleye and it is forsure a Big Boat body of water ..make sure you have lots of worm harness Jet Divers and Dipsys 20 jets 1st light then drop to dipsys as the sun gets high ...last summer i never put a rigger in the water and got limits pretty much every trip ..Good Luck Fishmaster

Edited by Fishmaster

Hey Jeff you should get a hold of fishmaster before you head out and get the scoop, He'll set you right. Last summer we spent most our time in 70-80 feet of water and depending on the launch point it will mean a bit of ride out. Also as Huey said the lake can change fast so make sure you have access to the weather reports all day long.

Good Luck