Lakers and Pike report.

limeyangler

Hi all,
Finally got out for some Lakers this morning for a couple of hours. I'm lucky enough to have a buddy who has his shack out on a lake that is a direct , 15 minute sled ride from my house. Got there at around 9am and left at 11:30am.
The shack is set up in 28'FOW on a flat muddy area of the lake. Bite was non existent for the first hour, but we busied ourselves playing around with his new LX9. Its an ok piece of gear but it does not have a boat transducer available, no GPS and my cheap as chips Lowrance graph does the same job his graph does for $1000 less. The camera is so-so. Overall a disappointing piece of gear for the price you pay.
The bite turned on in style for an hour at 10am. The trout preferring my offering of a medium minnow on a 1/8oz brown jig over my buddy Carmon's offering of double twister tail on a whistler jig.
I did use a Rapala Rattlin' Rap lipless crank to 'call them in' then quickly swapped to the live bait once the fish arrived on screen.
They wanted to chase, if you stopped reeling they would call off their attack. I was getting them to chase it 20' feet of the bottom before they would hit, fun to watch on screen.
My buddy hooked into what he thought was going to be the biggest trout he has ever had on this lake, turned out to be a nice 35" pike, he was not impressed, it went back without even a picture….lol.
I kept my limit of trout, donating the darker one to my buddy for his smoker, the darker ones on this lake have the orange/pink meat.

Here is a short video of the mornings action.

Nice Simon, you kicked your buddies butt out there.

Variety is a good thing, but if I lived up your way I wouldn't bother with the lakers, it would be walleye, walleye and more walleye.

I here ya Chris, in the summer I tend to be a walleye fisherman 90% of the time with 5% crappie and 5% lakers, but in the winter I find almost all my walleye fishing a bit tedious, whitefish and trout provide the adrenaline rush I need!