Linking two Lowrance HDS units

Fisherpete

I'm a newbie to the HDS world... If I have two units on the boat, front and back, what is required (or is it possible) to do the following:

1) Share GPS/waypoint info

2) Share one transducer (will likely go with 2, transom and trolling motor but just curious)

3) Share one Navionics map chip

4) Transfer my waypoints and trails from my Elite-5 unit to the HDS units

Thanks guys

Pete

Edited by Fisherpete

Been doing a bunch of reading today.

From what I understand, linking the two GEN 1 units with the ethernet cable will allow the two units to do the following:

• share waypoints, trails and routes
  • share a single transducer
  • DOES NOT allow you to share a map chip. You still need a chip for both units. (which I have)

I may go the single transducer route. My trolling motor (Motorguide Wireless 45) is a PITA to hook up a transducer cable because of the way the shaft slides thru a collar when you stow/deploy it - you can't attach the transducer cable very well to it. If anyone has managed to come up with a solution for this I'm all ears - or if anyone knows if I could upgrade my trolling motor head to have a transducer built in, even better! I am going to call Rocky's in Orillia on Tuesday to see if he can do this and what it would cost.

Thanks for all the help, keep it coming!

Pete

Edited by Fisherpete

I'll start shopping a kidney around Andy... Would love to hop up to 24V 70lb Terrova with all the bells and whistles. Probably not gonna happen anytime soon.

If I can just swap in a Motorguide powerhead with built in transducer for a few hundred bucks that's the route I will probably take... wonder if they could make it into a 55 instead if a 45 at the same time? HMMMMMM LOL

You got it, it will be awaiting approval from the iron bank of bravos though (wife). I'll PM you before the ice melts if i can convince her! Still 12 volt. I just bought the boat it's sitting on, so I'm not really sure how well this is going to go lol.

Edited by porkpie

Hey Pete, I'm not sure about the gen1 units but I have a gen2 and was told that you can link an hds unit to an elite unit via the nmea 2000 network. It will allow you to share waypoints but that's it. I'm hoping thats true because I haven't installed the elite unit that I have yet but thats what my plan is.

In terms of the other things:

• share waypoints, trails and routes
  • share a single transducer
  • DOES NOT allow you to share a map chip. You still need a chip for both units.

I believe you are correct. the gen2's allow you to share a map chip, I don't know if the gen1's do.

check here too for info http://www.bbcboards.net/lowrance-garmin-sonar-gps/

Edited by AdamS