The Next Step

FloatnFly

Other than the rod components that make up the rod (blank, guides, epoxy, cork or cork grips or foam grips, thread, colour preserver, etc) you will need:

sand paper for sanding the cork

cork press if using individual corks- make your own as it is cheaper

rod wrapper to wrap the guides - make your own

slow rotating motor to rotate the rod while epoxy finish is drying - BBQ rotary motor works well

rod supports to hold rod parallel to the floor while it rotates - make your own

masking tape

cheap disposable artist brushes (small)

mixing containers for mixing epoxy finish

Syringes for measuring the epoxy finish

epoxy thinner

Archery hot melt glue for putting on tip tops - don't use epoxy

Their blanks are nice and prices well. I have built three from them.

Start with one of their kits as they will likely have good basic components for the blank.

But if you live near a tackle shop that carries components then just get the bits and bites in town. Kingsway in Guelph has good rod building components so that's what I do.

I just talked to mudhole, with the difference in the dollar, the shipping rate for a blank, as it goes Fed Ex, and then the duties and tarrifs once the order hits Canada, you can easily add on another 50% to your order, if not more, the advantage is Mudhole has everything you need, Rod Building Supply Company is a Canadian supplier offering Mudhole supplies, but not everything in Mudholes catalouge especially guides, definately miss LG Custom Tackle rod building in Ontario hasnt been the same since.

nice! thanks for that. I was looking on mudhole, and they have a rod building tool kit available, would you recommend that or no? http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Tool-Kits/Complete-Accessory-Kit-220v-Drying-Motor

Just got back home. Looking at what you get fro $188 US that seems a little steep. Angling Specialties carries a lot of bits and pieces and components. With the low Canadian dollar plus shipping and handling I'd limit my purchases from the US for a while.

A lot of that stuff you can make out of wood yourself and save a pile of dough. I started over 40 years ago when it was way harder to get components. I still use the rod wrapper that I made 40 years ago. A low rpm motor can usually be found at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. It's a great hobby that will keep you busy all winter long searching for bits. Unless you are planning to do commercial custom work you don't need the fancy motorized rod handle cork lathe. I have built over a hundred rods turning them by hand.

Enjoy.

Just got back home. Looking at what you get fro $188 US that seems a little steep. Angling Specialties carries a lot of bits and pieces and components. With the low Canadian dollar plus shipping and handling I'd limit my purchases from the US for a while.

A lot of that stuff you can make out of wood yourself and save a pile of dough. I started over 40 years ago when it was way harder to get components. I still use the rod wrapper that I made 40 years ago. A low rpm motor can usually be found at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. It's a great hobby that will keep you busy all winter long searching for bits. Unless you are planning to do commercial custom work you don't need the fancy motorized rod handle cork lathe. I have built over a hundred rods turning them by hand.

Enjoy.

I wasn't planning on buying anything right away, more dabbling into the future for a project for next winter, i've got too many on plate for the immediate future.

But yea, definitely not going to do commercial work, just for myself and maybe Christmas gifts type thing

Thanx fishlogic - very interesting! I often wondered how they make a rod. Are all blanks constructed as I see in the video?

the construction of the blanks is pretty much the same across the board, only thing that changes is the quality of the graphite and resins