Ultra Light gear setup question...

mikeymikey

Hello all.

For those with Ultra Light gear...

I was wondering what type of fishing line would give me the best castability of micro size lures? (ex. 2" Rapala, etc...)

I am currently using a P-Line 4lb on my 5'6" UL rod and can't really cast too far.

Would a PowerPro 8lb (1lb mono diameter) cast better on UL gear?

Thanks for reply.

Myself I use Trilene XL in 4LB. I have found that the biggest difference in casting distance come from how full your spool is and not the line you are using. Make sure your spool is extra full of line. You have to be extra carefull that you keep good tension on your line when you retrieve it though or you will get more problems with birds nests...but that is my advice. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I hear ya! I have the exact same setup and even when having your spool filled to capacity you are somewhat limited.

The solution...longer rod. I'm hoping to get a 7' ultralight when I find some spare cash...someday! hehe

Tony

I use Berkley, Trilene XL 4lb and I have no complaints. But then I use a 5 1/2 foot GLASS rod and not a stiff graphite rod.

Since 1981, I have bought from LB on 2 occasions 2lb test and both times it was bad line.

On the day before the opening of the trout season, I finally found what I have been looking for - 2lb test Trilene XL at that new store in Oakville - Bronte Outdoors. That guy there has a lot of stuff. I will support that guy and his store.

carp-starter

longer rod and larger reel. Line is minor and gives you a difference of maybe +/- 5% on your casting distance from my experience. I switched from mono to PP on my baitcaster and I noticed the PP casted more accurately but as far as distance goes I never could tell. I think the mono would probably cast better anyway. PP sticks to neighbouring strands on the spool and has more friction coming off then mono IMHO.

I use a 6.6 quantum xtralite and used a quantum xtralite reel until last year and the casting distance was mediocre at best. I moved to a diawa spinning reel 1500 size and I increased my casting distance substantially and I am still using the same line, 4lb flouroclear. For a part flouro line I have been really happy with its performance.

With the xtralite average cast appx. 20-25ft - casting 1/32 jigs with 1inch tubes

With the Diawa 30+ with the same lure

and even though it is a heavier reel the balance is better which makes it feel lighter.

RJ

Edited by theRJ

Guest lundboy

Nothing better than hooking a 3lb largemouth on an ultralight rod/reel with 4lb test.

For years I have been using Trilene XL 4lb green, with a 7'6" Basspro Microlite UL rod, and an UL spinning reel (different ones over the years currently a SS700 UL Daiwa SS Tournament spinning reel. It's not as light as some but it has a long spool rather than the short wide spools that most UL reels have these days so I can cast farther. I can easily get 80-100' with a 16th oz jig and grub.

Another trick to casting farther is I spray the line on my spool with Blakemore Reel Magic about every 20 casts. It also helps stop the line from snarling up.

(Boy you'd think BP or these companys are paying me.... but they aren't!)

Reel Magic

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...t=SearchResults

Rod http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...t=SearchResults

Reel

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0001000_100-1-2

Edited by lundboy

Even though we all were using the same weight jigs and floats with the wrap around weight attached fishing for crappies this spring, I noticed Meely, Tony and Crappieperchunter were casting their offerings about a third further than I was with my 6 foot 6 inch ''lightning'' series rod w/6 lb.Trilene...Cph was using a 9 footer and the others were using the 7 footers they bought at the spring fishing show two years ago...

I do think the lighter line and longer rods make a big difference...mind you I got a lot more miles on my casting arm than they do...