Fishing Tales. Some maybe even true.

Old Ironmaker

Canuck2fan, yea that's a story for sure. I believe you.

Joey, not a 11 pound Large Mouth but my brother did get a 16" Perch that was as fat as long. Had it in a cooler and was looking for a good scale to see if it may have been a record for Ontario, when he got back to the picnic table his father in law was almost finished cleaning it. Mr. Lefko was Polish as well, that has nothing to do with anything, what a wonderful man, rest in peace Johnny L.

I love old tales.

Reminds me of an old joke, Buddy was a downhomer and every time he came into the Legion he would describe how big a Cod he caught be spreading his arms out. One day the boys said we'll fix ole Buddy and handcuff em, lets see how big his fish is today bey. So they handcuff ol Buddy and ask him How big today brudder? Ole Buddy makes a circle with both his hands and says " The eye was this big buy!"

Yup, them Pols like their fish don't they :)

I was fishing carp in my backyard this summer and i had the rod sitting right beside my lawn chair. Sure enough i got a hit but it ripped my rod in the water before i could grab it. I was going to jump in but thought better of it.

I ran to the shed and grabbed my muskie rod, i put a big treble and a 2 oz bell sinker on and started firing it out trying to catch my line. I eventually hooked something and pulled my old line towards the dock, after pulling my rod up i cleaned it off and started reeling... Sure enough the fish is still on. It turned out to be just a hair shy of 30 lbs, by far my biggest simcoe carp.

CC3106BD-8798-4282-A902-F6F49AC55519_zps

Awesome!

Okay, I've got another one. Paul and I were up at his parent's cottage again, but we didn't even have the tinny yet. We were in a canoe and I kept missing the bite from the Largies because I didn't set the hook. So he says "Set the hook next time." So I get a nibble and just yanked as hard as I could and the fish came flying out of the water and landed on Paul's back and the hook, fish still attached, got caught in the back of Paul's shirt, then proceeded to flip about. Being in a canoe, there's not much you can do, so he had to take his shirt off and passed it to me to so I could get the hook out of the shirt and the fish off.

Good one Gallie, you even have the beard and Tartan to go with the name. Must be the luck of the Gaelic.

OK just one more. The fastball team decides to get together on Chelsey Lake. My kid brother's idea of fishing is picking the Lobster from the tank in a 5 star eatery. He joins everyone with his spanking new Popeil Pocket Fisherman, complete with handy carrying case. Well everyone is on the floor howling because you have to know this brother of mine. Roughing it means the Penthouse suite at the Lauderdale Harbor Beach Marriott is booked and there isn't an ocean view. He also goes out and buys a fishing vest and matching hat complete with flies attached. By Sunday night he not only wins biggest fish with a 4 pound Largemouth, most fish and most species with Large and Small Bass, Walleye, Pike and Perch. He out fished all 12 guys with that Popeil Pocket Fisherman!!