NF: Dual battery setup

bassmasta

One of my batteries just died but my boat runs a dual battery 12v setup. It has 27 group Marine deep cycle batteries. The one that died was the starting battery. However they are connected parallel with a battery selector. I normally run them in the "both" position on the battery selector. My question is can I replace the one battery with a non-deep cycle marine starting battery or do they need to be both 27 group deep cycles?

That was a question of mine at one time.I put them in the both position all the time even if there two different batteries.Has worked well.I just make sure when I'm using the deepcycle for the trolling motor I move the selector to starting battery position.The alternater puts out 14 volts,pretty sure it can hurt either.Interesesting question.Like to hear from others as well.

Edited by davey buoy

If you want to run your trolling motor off both then you should have 2 Deeps as big as you can fit. My buddies set up sounds similar and hes cheap, so he always has mismatched batteries but only runs 1 at a time on his switch. Half the time we need a another boat to jump us when we are on the water.

Buy the best battery you can afford, nothing worse than being stuck with no power. I run 4 in the boat, cant have too many!