Building casting deck for 16' Tracker utility boat

Fisherpete

Anyone have any links to sites with plans on how to do this? I put in 2 flat floor sections between the bench seats, which are pretty good, but would rather build a deck on top of the seats starting from the mid row bench all the way to the front of the boat. Maybe put in a pedestal seat and a flip-open storage area underneath?

One more question - I find my boat has too much weight near the back, with a 30hp 4 stroke Honda, 2 batteries, transom mount trolling motor, etc., is it advisable to run longer wires from the motors to the batteries and maybe put the batteries somewhere near the front of the boat?

Thanks for any input!

Here's a pic of the boat.

16tracker.jpg

Edited by Fisherpete

Moving the batteries sounds like a great idea, it's a simple fix to your problem.

There is one guy on this site (perhaps a couple) that have done exactly as you are thinking to their boats.

Entropy

I did the exact thing you are talking about with my first boat. It was a 15 ft. Lund. We built a casting deck from the last bench to the front and put a pedastal seat in. We also made 3 seperate compartments, one in the middle for 2 batteries and a switch box and one on either side of this for storage, we also made a compartment up front for the anchor and life jackets. It really wasnt to hard. You will need a brace down the center to the bow for support, like a 2x4 or something. Then outdoor carpeting. Also if you run electronics off the batteries, we ran the wiring through plastic tubing under the floor. Just make sure it is water tight. If I can find the pics I will post them. Hope this gives you some ideas.

The boat is a 16ft deep V and is actually rated for up to a 40hp. When I have a passenger on board and sitting near the front it helps keep the boat on a better plane, or even when ther water is calm I have no problems, but when gets choppy and I am alone the front of the boat is up too high. I was thinking of getting one of those fins (hydrofoils?) that go on the motor, supposedly they help with this problem. Anyone out there use one and like them?

• 5 weeks later...

pm sent!

just saw this thread.

i'll try to get more pics of mine.

did you consider of getting a bow mount?

or you can just make a bracket and your transom mount on the front like did.

works pretty good and will help with the balance problem.

if you need pics of that, i can show you mine, but mine is just made of wood, going to modify it and make one out of metal/aluminum.