Baitcaster Steelhead Rod - Looking to Buy

Sharkbait22

Looking to replace a St.Croix Avid 10.6 baitcaster rod ML 6-10lb test. I lost mine - don't ask. I need another, either the 6-10 or 8-12lbs model would do. I really like the St.Croix build, particularly their cork, and their warranty. Alternatively, I could go with a different company. Ideally I'd like something a little longer e.g., 11.5 -12.5 ft. Spiral wrapped guide would be a bonus. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AVC106MLF2 10'6" ML Fast 2 6 - 10# 1⁄8 - 5⁄8 $260
AVC106MF2 10'6" M Fast 2 8 - 12# 1⁄4 - 3⁄4 $260

I like all my st Croix rods, but I snapped a brand new avid on the first cast and broke another after a couple months back in January, warranty is top shelf, but not happy that the newer avids seem to be more delicate (my rods get transported in tubes, and I don't break rods very often, just a bad year with my new avids)

I'd consider a loomis rod your list as well, the GL2's, not quite as sensitive as the avid IMO but plenty sensitive enough and tougher blank

STR 1263 C GL2

STR 1264 C GL2

I like all my st Croix rods, but I snapped a brand new avid on the first cast and broke another after a couple months back in January, warranty is top shelf, but not happy that the newer avids seem to be more delicate (my rods get transported in tubes, and I don't break rods very often, just a bad year with my new avids)

I'd consider a loomis rod your list as well, the GL2's, not quite as sensitive as the avid IMO but plenty sensitive enough and tougher blank

STR 1263 C GL2

STR 1264 C GL2

I've always been a big fan of the Avids, but last year I broke two 81/2 rods rated 12-25lb. First one snapped like a twig at the ferrule on the first trip. Was replaced and the second one broke first time I used it also right at the ferrule.

The new Raven 111/2' RPX is a pretty sweet off the rack baitacaster, but also kind of pricey.

On the lower end of the budget Rapala has an R type steelhead baitcaster for around 150.

A lot of guys I know who are into it are building baitcasters using MHX blanks from Mudhole. They're a GREAT blank for the price and very very inexpensive. Built with simple components like preformed cork and a Fuji reel seat you could likely get one built quite inexpensively.

First one snapped like a twig at the ferrule on the first trip. Was replaced and the second one broke first time I used it also right at the ferrule.

interesting, same here...9'6" MH steelhead avid, brand new, first cast, 1/2 oz spoon and snap....lure and half the rod tip go flying in the river

the second one lasted a few months, but again, snapped on a cast right around the same area

st croix redesigned the wild river rods, picked up an 8'6" MH spinning and it holds up to casting spoons AND coho's just fine lol....cheaper than the avids as well

interesting, same here...9'6" MH steelhead avid, brand new, first cast, 1/2 oz spoon and snap....lure and half the rod tip go flying in the river

the second one lasted a few months, but again, snapped on a cast right around the same area

st croix redesigned the wild river rods, picked up an 8'6" MH spinning and it holds up to casting spoons AND coho's just fine lol....cheaper than the avids as well

My personal opinion is it has nothing to do with the quality of the blank, rather how it's wrapped.

This particular rod had the first guide on the butt section wrapped about an inch away from where the two sections were joined at the ferrule. I've never seen anything so stupid, there's way too much stress on the ferrule when the rod is loaded.

I emailed St. Croix about it to offer my opinion and never heard back.

Dollars to donuts if I bought that same blank and had it built by Spiel it would be bulletproof.

Well thanks for the leads and suggestions. I saw the Raven 111/2' RPX sounds great but yes a bit pricey. What's a Raven warranty like?

I had no idea about Mudhole. Sounds great. There once was a time when rod building was done by a few and parts were hard to come-by. Now there are whole websites! The MHX blank kits are priced right. I assume you get all the parts and glue it together yourself? The MHX ST1442 Steelhead Rod Blank interests me but it's sold for a c-pin rod. I wonder if I could make a baitcaster with spiral guide construction? At that price I'd have no worries.

Rapala site is down, have look later. Thanks again for the tips.

The MHX ST1442 Steelhead Rod Blank interests me but it's sold for a c-pin rod. I wonder if I could make a baitcaster with spiral guide construction? At that price I'd have no worries.

That's exactly what most guys are doing when they build a baitcasting rod for steelhead, at least if it's primary use is floatfishing.

Can't go wrong with the MHX, they're a beautiful blank for the money.

Well I went through the process of assembling a rod via Mudhole. Cost came out to $240 plus whatever taxes ($270) and duty (mystery number here). Fifty bones for shipping to Canada. That hurts on principle. The total could easily run $350 at the door. My excitement was guarded as soon as I saw it was a US website. At that price I'm close to some higher end and many lower end rods; however, none would be as sweet a 12 footer spiral.

I have built four rods (Loomis and St.Croix ~20yrs ago) I've never broken one and would hate to because I'm a little unsure about the warranty and I'd have to rebuild which takes time. Don't know how warranty coverage would work on the MHX blank. Not expecting much and the shipping is steep.

I buy rods for the quality and for the warranty and there is a balance $100 for 5 year, $250 for life, or something like that. It's nice not having to worry about damage, not having to rebuild. Just send it in and get it back for the next trip. Not saying I'm clumsy just appreciate the insurance. For now I'm still looking and waiting for the Rapala site to come back online!