Anyone having luck at Big Bay Point ?

redpearl99

So I've bought about $1000 worth of ice fishing gear this year with the hopes of hooking into some whitefish or lakers forthe first time.

I've now been out with my dad and buddy 3 times and havent even had a single fish on. I've also only seen one guy catch a fish during the 3 trips. What gives????

Has anyone here been landing them fish or is it just a bad time of the year?

So I've bought about $1000 worth of ice fishing gear this year with the hopes of hooking into some whitefish or lakers forthe first time.

I've now been out with my dad and buddy 3 times and havent even had a single fish on. I've also only seen one guy catch a fish during the 3 trips. What gives????

Has anyone here been landing them fish or is it just a bad time of the year?

Its hard to say without knowing what equipment/lures you are using (Do you have a flasher/fishfinder?) but I will tell you that the fishing is much better right at first ice, the first few weeks are always best...

Its quite typical for the fishing to slow down at this time of year in areas such as BBP and Bear Point where there are hundreds of fishermen who fish these spots on the weekends and durin the week, theres so much pressure, the fish have seen just about every imaginable bait possible and some suggest the larger predatory fish follow the baitfish, which may have moved elsewhere (out into the mainlake perhaps).

Having said that, there are obviously still fish around, they just need to be 'finessed' that much more. These crazy weather patterns may also be affecting the bite.

Be patient though, the fishing usually picks back up in March near the end of the season. At this point, finesse the fish, move around and try to find those active fish. A snowmobile helps :wallbash:

Edited by J-M

Yes I have a flasher, eskimo hut, heater...etc

I've been using jigging spoons, white swimbaits, jigging rapalas, minnows..etc, but dont get into anything.

I've had a few follows on the flasher but nothing has taken yet.

This is also my first time fishing for lakers/whitefish and also my first time fishing on simcoe. I also dont have a snowmobile so ive had to walk out

The only time I get a sled ride,is when Im with Terry. Other then that,there are lots of walking to laker and whitie grounds. This snow is not helping though. :wallbash:

Get a map and do some research.

Where Im fishing Sunday,10 minute walk and Im in 100+ fow. I start there,and work my way back in.

Edited by Misfish

Go elsewhere. Ive been onto fish my past 3 outings on Simcoe, i stay away from BBP, so many people this year. I went there two weeks ago, didn't mark much. Caught nothing. All my trout so far have come on a jig head of some sort with a white swammer. All fish came from 100-120 fow

Edited by danbob

Go elsewhere. Ive been onto fish my past 3 outings on Simcoe, i stay away from BBP, so many people this year. I went there two weeks ago, didn't mark much. Caught nothing.

Yes. BBP is great for the first ice,or like said,you have travel means to get away from the crowds..

It does get slow now til probly close to the end of the month.

One thing to remember,is, the lake froze earlier then norm the past many years.. So the fish are in transition. Also like said,the weather has been stupid crazy. This does effect the fish. IMO

Edited by Misfish

I know the feeling. Both Frozen-Fire and I started ice fishing in Jan 2010. Together we skunked 10 times in a row on lakers/whities on Simcoe (often fishing both Saturday and Sunday). Numerous chases, tons of fish on the sonar, we even chummed salted minnows on 1 trip and yet we didn't bring one through the hole during those trips. I finally managed 2 fish on the 2nd last trip of the season.

Once you figure out what gets lakers to tick, they become fairly easy to catch - I guess they are naturally curious and agressive...Whities on the other hand...I have yet to catch a whitie from Simcoe :(

Best word of advice that I learned for lakers is to cover the entire water column. I've caught them jigging 12ft below the ice in 130ft of water.