Would Smart Tabs Help?

mcdougy

max capacity= 4people or 1100lbs.....usually the 4 people are my wife and 2 younger sons (11,5) definetly not overloaded.. Do any of the so far naysayers have experience with smart tabs? A little bit of common sense tells me that if and when I may be overloaded that I am not too worried if I am up on plane or not. That would be just plain stupid. The boat is a StarCraft sf dlx for those who are interested.

Cheers again M.M.

Yes I have a little experience. LOL. Ok so you maybe your not over weight or so you think based on what you can see, however your common sense should tell you if the boat performs fine with 2 guys and too much gear yet performs like crap with two more people, that you are carrying significant weight in the vessel.

Lets do some math using average weight of persons on board. You can put in actual weights if you like.

Your Cap. plate states 4 persons or 1100lbs.

Motor - 120lbs, Gas (full tank) 50lbs, Kids (2xage)+10 = weight/kgs x 2.2 =114lbs, Mom 150lb, Dad 200lbs, Battery 100lbs (1only), Bowmount motor 30lbs.

Totalled up so far we are at 764lbs.

We have not accounted for gear, food or drinks for the day. 1100-765 = 335lbs to go

Now the floor in your vessel will have 1/2 inch plywood that will no doubt absorb some water and will have a bank of injected foam flotation running from bow to stern on the port and starboard side. This injected foam absorbs an ENORMOUS amount of water even with a dry hull and never dries out. I'm not sure anyone has actually ever figured out how much this stuff weighs water logged but any one that has ever removed it from a boat can tell you its very heavy. That said you also need to account for any water in the bilge and live well at 10 lbs/gal.

Long story short you are, at the very least, at capacity for your vessel. But based on my experience you are prob a couple hundred lbs or more over capacity with 4 people on board. It is a big mistake to judge the load of your vessel based on where the water line rests on the outside of the hull or by simply eyeballing the items it contains. Many have found that out the hard way.

Now consider your 25hp motor (brand new) puts out 1875 lbs of thrust (estimated. 1hp=75lbs thrust) and your trying to push around at least 1100lbs with that. Now factor in wind and wave action and friction of water on the hull... Doesn't sound very good from a get up and go perspective does it:)

A properly set up vessel (which yours sounds to me is) of your type, operating within its LIMITS should not need any aids.

Will you notice a difference with tabs? No doubt. Are they worth the trouble and investment? IMO and experience. No

They simply keep the bow of the boat down while providing transom lift during take off to aid planing and aid with keeping heavy boats on plane at lower speeds. However if your motor is already pushing all it can push, the results would be minimal. Their purpose is more to help out vessels that are moderately under powered. Not to help vessels that are maxed out on power and possibly over weight

They also may create an unsafe condition while travelling light by possibly providing too much transom lift which could cause the stern to slide or skip while cornering.

Sorry everyone for the long post. Do with the information what you wish and have a great season:)

I added Dol fins to my much bigger boat and dropped my pitch to 17.What a difference carrying 4 guys now with all their gear.Top end dropped to about 48 mph,but the hole shot was only 10seconds,compared to about 1 min without the changes.I gave away top speed for a much better boat speed that was alright with me.Not everyone goes out with just 2 people.Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned.Dol fins,and prop pitch may help,but you are pretty loaded up for your boat and motor size.IMO.