Spring Fishing Trip

craneman

I am planning a spring fishing trip to North Eastern Ontario and was wondering if any board members can recommend a good "drive to" lodge. We will be a group of 3 - 4 people looking for a lodge with an American Plan if possible. We are willing to drive 6 - 8 hours from the Hamilton area. The target fish would be walleye and pike.

Thanks in advance !!

look up Brennan Harbour Resort or Blue Heron Resort. Spanish River.

Sorta my home waters....but I don't have any affiliation or even know either outfitter but I do know I often run into happy guests out there

Edited by ctdd2006

For that drive, I hit up a lodge on Lady Evelyn Lake - Island 10 or Garden Island Lodge. I am not sure if Red Pine Lodge is currently in operation [it's currently on the market and I had heard they weren't open in 2013, but never confirmed that]. The fishing for Walleye and Smallmouth Bass was quite good the two times I went (July and August). One of my favorite lakes.

I stayed at Horwood Lake Lodge a couple years ago in July. Nice camp, great boats, owner was a decent guy (he may have sold the lodge recently though, haven't confirmed that) but we had a hard time fishing. I am confident the lake can produce good Walleye and Pike though. The rates are really good as well. I'd probably go back to Horwood Lake, but perhaps stay at the more central camp Horwood Outpost, which I believe is closer to better fishing grounds.

Probably some better options if you increase the drive time to 10 to 12 hours :P

For that drive, I hit up a lodge on Lady Evelyn Lake - Island 10 or Garden Island Lodge. I am not sure if Red Pine Lodge is currently in operation [it's currently on the market and I had heard they weren't open in 2013, but never confirmed that]. The fishing for Walleye and Smallmouth Bass was quite good the two times I went (July and August). One of my favorite lakes.

I stayed at Horwood Lake Lodge a couple years ago in July. Nice camp, great boats, owner was a decent guy (he may have sold the lodge recently though, haven't confirmed that) but we had a hard time fishing. I am confident the lake can produce good Walleye and Pike though. The rates are really good as well. I'd probably go back to Horwood Lake, but perhaps stay at the more central camp Horwood Outpost, which I believe is closer to better fishing grounds.

Probably some better options if you increase the drive time to 10 to 12 hours :P

Both great options I agree. The drive isn't anywhere near that far to Lady Evelyn though. Realistically it;s 61/2-71/2 hours from Hamilton. I know because I live in Hamilton and drive by the cut off for Lady Evelyn enrout to my camp all the time. I think Horwood would be 9 tops, maybe a bit less.

To the original poster shoot me a pm, I can help.

• 2 months later...

All good choices, and large bodies of water. I am headed up to Spanish for opener staying at Blue Heron. I think it is usually booked solid then but it would be worth calling them to find out, they are really nice people and have clean accommodations.
I stayed at Island 10 a few years back and the camp was really nice, the owners switched a couple years back though, but i imagine the place is still nice. I probably haven't answered much for you, but if you have any questions feel free to pm me and hopefully i could point you in the right direction!

Chris.