Zone 10 Bass - how can this be policed?

Steve

So, it will be C&R for LM....big deal. Several jurisdictions in the states have year-round seasons on bass, and amazing bass fisheries.

Chautauqua Lake in New York has a similar deal, open season C&R Only lot's of fun but bed fishing has it's challenges sometimes, finicky fish and finding the sweet spot on the bed and keeping your craw/drop shot there is a must, you can find fish pre spawn, post spawn and spawning during those spring times so a huge variety of techniques work. Only did it once for a few days but would fish them again in a heartbeat.

If walleye are involved I would take a guess that it has to do with taking the smallie numbers down a peg (and increase fishing opps), to help bring/keep the walleye numbers up. They do often compete in the same spaces.

And, maybe not so much in that part of Northern Ontario, (but maybe so) it's more often the walleye to more anglers and travellers, that are the fish of importance for sport, food and tourism.

Policing this then... is not likely in any part of the plan. lol.

This 100%. I imagine there's only a tiny percent of lakes that even possess a LMB population in that zone, and an even smaller percentage of anglers who target them, much less only for c & r...and if there's people keeping them out of season, they likely would have done so anyway. I just wish they'd open them up yr-round in zone 11! Cold water smallies are delicious

SM and LM spawn at different times and different locations.

Those that are going to target a bedding LM are going to do it whether there are regs in place or not.

It won't be policed or enforced at all or if it is it will be rare. MNR doesn't have the budget for enough Cos.