My Antigua arsenal is starting to look good.

limeyangler

You will need to add:

1) some tieable wire leader, baraccuda's will chop through even heavy floro leaders,

2) the WHITE Rebel walking minnow is a must, silver and other colours get about half the action or less in my experience (after loosing last white in a huge swirl, jerk and cut heavy floro leader...) Pic taken in Antigua, it is small but no one else was around for the others.

bluechairBaracuda.jpg

3) lucky strike glow in the dark spoons just after dark can often be real good.

4) Canadian wiggler in 1.5" in silver (lady fish, small jacks) and white/glow or silver in the 2 3/8 and 3 1/4

5) A Lindy what's it jig in grey or brown or there is a cheap make ?Fox? that has a jig with rubber and feathers all over that worked good on the sand for Snook

If you can get some the scents they seem to make a big difference too, (shrimp is what I use) more so than in freshwater.

Make sure you rinse off the lures when you get back to the hotel and don't leave them on the counter etc because the hooks will rust and will make a mess. Rinsing them is a must because freshwater hooks will rust FAST.

In Antigua the one guy I talked to said the Tarpon would come in sometimes into the bays and harbours so watch out, he said some where huge.

If you go down to the beach atleast 30 minutes before sunrise you will be surprised what you see along the shore, the one morning I saw a huge stingray, two sea turtles and something out beyond what I could cast was chasing some flying fish.

Good luck.

Edited by mosquito

Thanks for the lure tips Mosquito… I have been there quite a few times….have a bag of homemade wire traces from previous trips all ready to rock and roll. I have about 4 or five shore marks i always hit up, lots of those little barracuda and Trevalli jack on those top waters….lots of fun. Will definitely get a white 'walk the dog" type lure now…..thanks for the tip. I found topwater chug bugs into the surf break on one beach deadly for Snook….I think snook look a bit like walleye around the head area….dontcha think?

Edited by limeyangler

Walleye, Snook.... uhhhh not so much, they both have a slopped head but that would end the comparison I think.

The most fun I had was on a flyrod with apoxy minnows and the 1.5" Canadian Wiggler when I got into some Ladyfish and small pompano. Walter at Lindquist asked what a Ladyfish was and he posted the pic. The Ladyfish weren't big (up to probably 18") but hit like a pike wanna be and did great jumps and triple flips before you got them in and it was just cast, hook, fight release for about half an hour until the sun got up a bit. When I got cut off by a baraccuda I switched over to the rod I had in my pack with a Canadian Wiggler and caught more including this guy.

Aruba%20LADYFISH-med.jpg

Ordering direct is more expensive but seems to be the only way to get some of the Canadian Wigglers like the 1.5"

http://www.canadianwiggler.com/ecom.asp?pg=products&specific=jnkqqpm8&gotogrp=8&gotopgnum=1

Edited by mosquito

very nice. we are going there in January. I have been many times and have caught lots of fish using a 3 peice travel rod that I bring down. mainly on crank baits/rapalas. Rat L traps work very well casting in the surf off the beach. I am looking foward to trying the new Rippin Rapala lipless bait too, in the white colour (1/2oz size) I have never caught anything big yet, but I have seen 4 foot snook, a jack creavalle as big as a table and 6 foot tarpon in Jolly Harbour Marina before. I have caught lots of snappers, cuda and jacks. Ladyfish too. but nothing over a few pounds.

I plan on beating the curse and hooking into something big on this next trip. I haven't been in 10 years so I am really looking forward to going back to the island.

I am looking to hook into some bonefish if possible using jigs off the beach. When I was on my honeymoon in 2012 in nassau bahamas I caught bonefish using jigs off the beach and it was amazing. insanely strong for their size!

half moon bay is awesome. great waves and good snorkelling off the far end of the beach.

have a great trip and post a trip report with fish pics!

Edited by 12 Volt Man

I found this company a few years back but they have a 9ft 4 piece travel rod for a decent price

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrods-Travel-Rods.htm

Toro Tamer Surf Explorer 25 to 30 lb conventional

I put a diawa 300 lexa on it and it has been excellent both in performance and packability.

The set up will cast 80 yards with a 1 oz lure and further using up to 3 oz casting spoons. This will get you out past the breakers where the big fish play. I use rattle traps casting spoons, and jigs for the most part . Don't forget to bring extra braid after a good long cast and a decent sized fish I have been spooled using 300yds of 65lb.

Art

There are some good makes or rods you can find on here too.

http://www.pechesud.com/en/travel-fishing-rods-2/

Half Moon bay looks good, try and get out for a snorkel at Green Island or you can check out these guys for some fun too, the guys on Fish TV did a few shows there and tried these guys out in one and it looked fun

. http://www.reservoirrange.net/

Edited by mosquito