A little help with posting a trip report

pairofgreenhorns

Hey everyone!

I just finished writing a rather lengthy fishing report on sturgeon fishing in the Fraser River B.C. So far it is just in a word document. I would like to add some videos and pictures to it if possible but before I try this weekend I wanted to ask if there is anything special I have to do to post them.For example when i want to insert a picture so i copy and paste it onto where im typing or do I attach a file form the option at the bottom of my text box here? any help is appreciated!!!!!

Cheers,

Ryan

For images it's easiest to put them up on a separate hosting site as mentioned. Photobucket and Flickr are commonly used, but there are others. You can use the media gallery on this site too. For video you can use the image hosting sites or Youtube. They are all free to use, but you need to make an account.

Once you do that, you need figure out how to copy the link to the image/video. It's not the address in your bar, but separate links are provided for you to copy and paste. It's usually pretty obvious on the image hosting sites. For Youtube it's under the share tab below the video.

Once you have a link just use the insert image button in the message toolbar above. I don't know why there isn't one for Youtube, but simply type [ youtube ]LINK TO YOUR VIDEO (EMBED VIDEO LINK)[ /youtube ] (WTHOUT THE SPACES, it doesn't show up in the message if I use the actual code). For images you can also just type in [ image ]LINK TO YOUR IMAGE[ /image ]. Those little bracketed commands are called BBCODES.

Edited by FishLogic

Looking forward to your report.

Just a heads up from someone who's posted a number of lengthy reports with photos and video. I've had nothing but problems since the board switched their format sometime last spring I believe.

I used to use microsoft word with the corresponding photobucket and youtube embed codes pasted into the document. It was then a simple matter of copying and pasting everything into my post.

However since the format change the codes are always corrupted after copying and pasting onto the OFC board. When you try to edit them things get worse.

The only thing that works for me now is to copy and paste the text into my posts then add the photo and video codes after the fact.

Even that isn't perfect as some of the codes still get corrupted when the report is posted.

I believe there'd be little problem with 99% of most reports. It just seems the really lengthy ones with lots of photos and videos end getting corrupted so you may not have a problem.

In any case good luck, here's hoping you don't experience the same issues.

thank for the input friends! This does sound pretty confusing though, but Im sure I will fins a way to make it work, I might not be able to post it as quickly as I would like if I have to trouble shoot.Just so you know Mr. Borger, many of your reports are the inspiration that pushed me to sign up and create some of my own from past experiences.

Cheers,

Ryan

I will say Mike does post a great report along with a few other greats.

The text part is easier to copy and paste in a report and then add the code for the photos and pictures. Some of the code gets hung up in the security filter that protects the site from bad people. We wish it was different but to keep us up and running we make that small sacrifice. I will say though if you do have issues with the code filters and can email a moderator the script we will forward it to IPB and see if they can recommend a change or patch to make it easier in the future.

Thanks

Art