Fishing Florida's Gulf Coastal Waters

Propwash

Hello fellow OFCers,

I have the opportuity to vist the Florida Gulf Coast this December, about an hour North of Tampa, and have been doing a little homework with regards to rules, regulations and learning as much as I can watching the saltwater shows on OFC. I would like to present an inquiry to the community, for those who have the experience, on some issues I would like to explore.

The waters themselves, as mentioned on the Gulf Coast, lie in a community interwoven by canals with direct access to the open Gulf. I will have a 16 foot aluminum with a 25hp outboard which I intend to stay close to shore with and, if the opportunity presents itself, set out for deeper water in a larger, sea-worthy vessel. I will likely hire a guide for a day to absorb some local knowledge. I did a little scouting last year on a boat trip around the area (no rod-in-hand as I didnt have a license) and the water is shallow anywhere between 2-6 feet close to shore; house lined shores to the South and tall grass flats to the North. Extending into the Gulf is probably a couple miles of coral flats maybe 2-3 foot deep.

In Florida there are two main types of fishing licenses for non-residents: saltwater and fresh water. I will be purchasing the saltwater liscence. That said, say I venture up a creek that is brackish water (mix of salt and fresh water) do I need to get a freshwater license?

What are your experiences fishing tides? Do I fish high tide? low tide? between high and low and vice versa? Total newb to the saltwater thing here.

What are some basic set-ups, bait presentations, lures and methods that have brought some fish in the net?

Thank you in advance. I look forward to your input. And yes, I will watch for sharks, and, if within casting range, may take a crack at one lol.

Prop

Here is a link to a book that will give you all of the basics and the habits of the fish you hope to catch.

http://www.amazon.com/Saltwater-Fishing-Made-Martin-Pollizotto/dp/007146722X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383339273&sr=1-1&keywords=saltwater+fishing+books

Saltwater fishing has extra factors than a freshwater trip does not. A few sentences from me will not due justice to the knowledge you need to have a successful trip. The good news is you have time to read the book and then hit the ground running when you get to Florida.

Best of luck

Art