Made the Switch

Clampet

Quite a task tying double Uniknots from PowerPro to monofilament, but I got it. Then added a 4 foot mono leader to tandem snelled hooks to a red bead 4" up from the hooks then added the 1st small split shot then moved 7" up the line to add another slightly larger split shot moved up the line to double that distance (14") to a larger split shot then added the slip float then on to the sliding neoprene stopper bead. (in reverse order of course!)

The doubling of the distance between the split shot allows one to cast a slip float and bait without the whole thing winding up a tangled mess.

You keep the heaviest sinker of the group closest to the float end, and then the sinkers decrease in size as you move down towards the hook(s). You experiment with adding or substracting sinkers till you have the float 3/4 to 9/10ths submerged. That way it has less wind resistance and it is easier to detect light biting fish.

I used the 30lb power pro and always used barrel swivels to attach mono and other things. Today I went out and bought myself spider wire stealth for 16.99 in moss green and have to say it is exactly like power pro and I like it better because it's also alot thinner and more easier to spool and also its a few bucks cheaper.

Yes...Power Pro is nice. So are the other braids. However, I do like Tuf-Line Plus (not XP or ordinary Tuf-Line) the most because it is a lot limper. It is white in colour which suits me fine since the fish usually look at it against a light background. Mason Tiger Braid is just as good.

Edited by Dabluz

I used the 30lb power pro and always used barrel swivels to attach mono and other things. Today I went out and bought myself spider wire stealth for 16.99 in moss green and have to say it is exactly like power pro and I like it better because it's also alot thinner and more easier to spool and also its a few bucks cheaper.

Dang!

Hadda I a known!

I based it on PP because of that thread on Vanish FC.

You can't base your choice solely on how thin the line is. Ex.: 20 lb Power Pro breaks at about 40 lbs...maybe more. It is safe to say that 30 lb Power Pro breaks at least at 50 lbs of tension.

Then....along comes a company who sells another line and slaps the little sticker on it saying 30 lb test. This line is much finer and it actually breaks at about 35 lbs. The company is not lying however, they are sure to find a bunch of fishermen who exclaim right and left "my 30 lb braided line is much thinner than your 30 lb braided line". You can't trust what the companies print on their packages.

Did you possibly think that maybe you could have been better off buying 15 or 20 lb test Power Pro and getting the same results as the Spider Wire Stealth?

In strength test for 20 lb test line, the strongest was 20 lb test Fireline with a breaking point of approx 47 lbs. The strongest braided line was Mason Tiger Braid.

I prefer Mason Tiger Braid over the Power Pro....not because it is stronger but for the fact that it is far limper and allows for longer casts with a baitcaster. The big drawback with Mason Tiger Braid is when it comes to tie knots in it. It has a tendancy to cut into itself so much care must be taken to tie the Palomar or the Uni-knot.

I will probably buy a spool of Spider Wire Stealth soon. I saw some on my buddy's reel the other day. The line looks good and seems to be quite limp. The big problem for me now is the fact that all of my reels and spools are full of line and these new lines last what seems like forever. I am still using my old (over 10 years old) 14 lb test original Gorilla Braid on a baitcaster. It's now so washed out that it's pure white yet shows no sign of weakness.