Automobile GPs

Roe Bag

Actually looked at a Magellan at my local CT store this morning. It was $80 off. Was hoping for some feedback on those units. Seems Garmin and TomTom are more popular. Garmin being the leader in this mini poll.

If the weather tomorrow is as nasty as they say, I'll do the circuit. Future Shop, Best Buy, Costco and CTC.

Thanks again to all.

I have used both Tom Tom and Magellan. They both work but I found the Tom Tom to be a little more user friendly. Or, perhaps that is just what I am used to because I owned the Tom Tom first.

Most run on battery power for a while. They are also small enough to tuck in a pocket. About the size of a large pack of smokes. (it's been 40 years but I still remember them).lol

IMO the cost is well worth it. I have had them for many years, and actually paid $1200 for my first Garmin when they came out! Now they are $100, and so much more user friendly!

Most run on battery power for a while. They are also small enough to tuck in a pocket. About the size of a large pack of smokes. (it's been 40 years but I still remember them).lol

IMO the cost is well worth it. I have had them for many years, and actually paid $1200 for my first Garmin when they came out! Now they are $100, and so much more user friendly!

So if you were going on a hike by foot for example,you would most likely need a portable battery pack?,or buy a Iphone or similar where the battery time would last a lot longer I would think. Woud like to have one for the truck,boat,ice fishing etc transferable.Thanks.

There are several hours of operating time on my Garmin, before you need to plug in. I have used it for at least 4 hours before it needed a power source. Certainly depends on the unit, number of times recharged, etc. But I would check out the latest/greatest. They change for the better all the time.

Another consideration is that the GPS will work whether or not cell phone reception is available.

So these automobile units ,can you use portable?,or do they need to be plugged into a 12volt supply?(cigarett lighter)all the time?.

Do any or all have a charging battery built in?.Sorry for the side track.

They have an internal battery that will power them for a while. However, they are designed for navigating official road ways. I am not sure how you intend to use it; they don't have lake maps nor waypoints that make marine units usefull to fisherman. It may help you find the nearest road if you were lost in the bush.

They have an internal battery that will power them for a while. However, they are designed for navigating official road ways. I am not sure how you intend to use it; they don't have lake maps nor waypoints that make marine units usefull to fisherman. It may help you find the nearest road if you were lost in the bush.

Was thinking more of showing where I am,as well as way points.May not be the best for what I'm looking for then.Thanks.