Pigeon Lake Carp

Familyfisherman

We had done some reading and decided to give Pigeon Lake a try this weekend for Carp. Looks like it is heralded to be quite good.

I was considering using dog food as a surface bait, as last year at this time we found the carp all over the surface in the mornings feeding before the wind got up.

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with carp on Pigeon and if there's better opportunities than trying surface fishing?

We thought we'd try the north end of the lake mostly and around the big island...thanks.

Surface fishing is a tough go unless you find fish actively feeding on the surface the day you go... From what I understand its more of a backup... Most days they're feeding down...

One of the easiest and best baits to start with is corn... The cheapest canned corn you can find... Generally the cheaper corn is bigger tougher kernels.... Lasts longer...

You can add flavor to it... A sprinkle of salt or sugar... A bit of maple syrup... A few drops of vanilla or anise...

They eat it all...

It seems August is the month we see them on the surface in the morning the most !!!! They jump and carry on and in the very early morning you can even hear them sucking air from the surface !!! When you are in a quiet bay bass fishing they sometimes scare the crap out of you I never really see many people targeting them and have never seen anyone fly fishing for them and there is lots of places in the kawarthas to do that early before the sea doos come out and the wind gets up !!!i have seen vids of them fly fishing in the niagara river tho !!!! A big 25lb carp would be quite the fight on a fly rod wouldn't it !!!!! Lol.

I have been meaning to chum some maize and/or ground bait in an area on the north shore near where I live to see if I could bring some carp around...it will be tough fishing because of weeds...might have to use pop-up boilies on my hair rig...

I have been meaning to chum some maize and/or ground bait in an area on the north shore near where I live to see if I could bring some carp around...it will be tough fishing because of weeds...might have to use pop-up boilies on my hair rig...

If you bait a small right bait bed... The carp will clear all the weeds