Scugog or other Kawartha lake picnic and boating

John Bacon

We are planning on a picnic and some boating with a couple of families. Can anyone recommend a place? I plan to bring a boat (16' Aluminum) to take the kids tubing and do some fishing.

Not everyone will be in the boat at once so I am looking for a place that has a public park along the shore. Does anyone know of such a park that is close to a boat launch with parking?

I was thinking of Scugog because it is close; but I would also go to another nearby lake if there is a good place.

My kids like verulum park on Sturgeon lake. Nice sandy beach, boat launch, and a pier you can tie the boat up on. I'm not sure if there is a fee, there wasn't the last time we were there. Its a bit further than scugog, but scugog isn't very nice for swimming at all.

It will come up on google. Its on the 'caygeon arm of sturgeon, kinda between fenelon and bobcaygeon.

S.

Check out Selwyn Conservation Area near the North end of Chemong Lake. Has everything you are looking for including a nice beach, good launch and picnic area. It is also on a less busy part of the lake.

Might be a bit of a drive, but it may be worth it.

Thanks for the tips. I ended up launching at Port Perry. We did some tubing and some fishing.

I will definitely check the other places for our next outing.

The fishing wasn't great. I did land a decent large mouth. We also caught rock bass and a blue gill.