Temagami Camping

Lukasaurus

I am planning a backwoods camping trip with my wife to Lake Temagami the middle of August. This is my first trip there (we have been going to the upper French the last couple years) and I am looking for any advise from people who have been there. Can I launch a boat and park it for a week at the end of Lake Temagami Access Road? I am assuming there are camping spots on different islands throughout the lake, is there a map that shows camping spots? Is there out house facilities on any islands or should I bring something with me? If you don't mind sharing a fishing spot for lake trout or walleye you can PM me. I can bring downriggers if I needed. Thankyou in advance for ANY tips and advice.

You should be ok parking for a week at the access point...it'll get busy though. I have no real experience successfully fishing the lake, so no help on that front.

Try the forums on Ottertooth.com or the FriendsofTemagami website...they make an incredible adventure map of the area...they also maintain and report on portage/campsite locations.

I bought my FOT map at Lefevres in North Bay...the FOT website will show you other retailers.

There are 2 areas at the end of the access road. The first one being the Manitou Landing. This is for the public and has ample parking, loading/unloading areas and 2 boat ramps. You'll be fine at this spot.

From this landing (called the Hub) you can head out in a number of directions but be mindful, this lake can eat props. The best investment you can make is a Lake Temagami shoal map. Google it and you can buy on line or at the TLA booth when you get there. I would also recommend a GPS if this is your first time on the lake. It's massive and has tons of islands, inlets and arms that can all start looking the same especially as it gets dark.

Campsites abound up there but the best ones do get busy. Lots up Kokoko bay, Cross lake and Obabika area and these areas also have pretty decent smallmouth and pike fishing. Find the shoals, beaver lodges and wood debris shorelines and you'll have fun. Troll anything deeper than 60ft for lakers watch the graph to get an idea about bait and fish , Downriggers are a bonus to have up there but I still jig for them a lot when conditions are right (no wind) - small silver spoons behind a 3ft small gang troll works great.

As for walleye you may have to bribe someone for info. I've fished that lake for 20+ years and still they give me fits trying to find them - here today gone for weeks after that never to retrun in that spot for years!!!!. Much easier to contact any of the lodges up there and arrange a back lake portage trip. Some of the smaller lakes off temegami have really good walleye fishing - worm harnesses will do the trick

Enjoy your trip.

Sorry Steve, been a little preoccupied to get to your PM. Fang has you about covered... although I'll caution that most times that I've flown over the hub access point road that vehicles are parked along the side of same for almost half a mile. Sometimes as far as boatline marine. Be sure to have at least 2 gallons of water in the vehicle to wash the dust off your windshield so that you can see to drive on your way out. It's usually a pretty rough road. Other option as I've told many is to launch in town.. park behind the train station (across the tracks) and boat down the NE arm using campsites along your way. Boating will most likely be as fast as driving the wash board access road anyhow. Some campsites have box privies (that you may or may not want to use), others have nothing.

There is a mini campsite and navigation map that Leisure Island house boats gives out to each customer... suspect you can buy it at Gramps Outdoor Store at Angus Lake before you get to Temagami. That combined with a shoal map and you'll be golden.