Way y yy Down Upon The Ganny River r r r r r r r

Photoz

I haven't been on the board much lately . . . . . if I remember correctly, the town fathers (and mothers I guess) of beautiful (glowing) Port Hope were just about to pass a bylaw outlawing the using of salmon or trout roe for fishing in the spring? I haven't seen anything in print since, and when I was down there last week, I asked some of the natives if the law had been passed . . . . NOT A SOUL KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT IT AT ALL? The only thing that has changed is there's enforcement of the parking bylaws . . . 11:00 p. m., to 04:00 . The carp seem to have all moved out, and there's gotta be goose & duck crap 3" deep all along the river. Does anyone know for certain what's goin' on with this bylaw . . . . has it been officially passed? Thanks.

P. S.

Down behind the factory, there's a big sign telling everybody to stay off the rocks & the pier!

that by law can not pass it is federal jurisdiction on what can be used as bait.. I have been to the town hall many a time about the issue. the town does not know its right hand from its left of fishing issues in the town. they are making at least 3 officers take courses on fish and wild life enforcement to enforce the so called fishermen that fish there in the fall, yes the fall salmon run brings out the worst in people. and yes the parking is strictly enforced... also the reason the new sign is there is some DORK told the town they needed to put a walk way out on the pier so fishermen can access the land to fish the town said no...the same FING DORK went back 2 weeks later and said I fell on those rocks and you need to put a walk way out so I can fish it....so up went the sign from my knowledge this sign is just for the town and the lawyers sake keeping the town free of law suits

T'anks for the 'heads up,' I used to sometimes, late at night,in mid to late August, go out on the pier and wash a few glo-in-the-dark Cleos . . . . these nice silvers are a far different fish than the ol' brown boots that run the gauntlet from the lake up to the ol' Biway Pool in September. I've smoked up my thumb more than once tryin' to slow a good one down, boy, those buggers have speed AND power!

It's nice to see the 11:00 to 04:00 parking seriously enforced . . . . that'll put a stop to the cheapskate campers that park all along the river a week at a time! My main reason for even being around there in September . . . . . FREE ROE! Just hang around the cleaning station, most people who clean & carve up their fish rarely hang onto the roe . . . . it's free for the asking, and I don't have to kill a fish to get it!

I just wonder what happened all the carp . . . . the Ganny was full of 'em in May, June & July . . . . made great fishin,' and there was no die-off out there that I heard of. They were there 3 years ago . . . . there's been hardly any since?

P. S.

Just for curiosity, if the Town of Port Hope can't 'diddle' with the fishing laws & regulations, how did the Town (or township) of Angus get away with charging $35.00 (??) for a 'special' licence to fish up there?. I believe that went right to the Supreme court, and the law was upheld, now you rarely hear a whimper from anybody about this? Is it pretty strictley inforced? What is the penalty . . . . fines . . . . confiscation of gear . . . . . ? Misfish . . . . you'd likely be very familiar with the fishing regulations over that way?

that will be looked at if this does not work to control the idiots that fish here... what the 35 dollars is for from my understanding is a municipal access licence... the town of port hope along with the grca own all the land that the river runs through (south of the fishway) what the town can do is make it no trespassing with out such access licence.