Any tips on cleaning out an onboard gas tank

Nipfisher

I ruined about 80 litres of fuel by adding water to it :wallbash: .........actually I submerged the tank vent a few times in rough water and the engine sputtered to a stop.

I drained the tank by pressurizing it through the vent with my air compressor and blowing it out then fuel line into a garbage pail. I have drained the carbs and pulled the plugs to dry them off.

Now how to I get any remaining water or dirt from the inside of the tank?

There is a small access port that has about 15 screws holding it on. I believe it holds the float for the gage as there are some wires going to it. Do I remove that and wipe it out?

Or is there some additive like methyl hydrate or Seafoam I can add to the tank to remove the water?

I would think after all that you have probably got enough out such that if you filled the tanks up, added the appropriate amount of marine Stabil or seafoam, any water left would be minimal and not an issue. Maybe add alittle more than the usual amount of additive to be on the safe side.

Sounds like it would have been interesting getting home in those conditions with a crapped motor - a story in itself there

Thanks Rick and Roy. The vent is on the hull of the boat in the back consul side. I was already on that side as the operator and I had both of my passengers move to that back corner to keep the bow up. We were only traveling at 9 mph.

Edited by Nipfisher