Cooler

Dan668

My coleman extreme has been pretty solid, But the handle is broken, same the with the lid (its pretty old and been through many trips).

Looking for a new cooler to replace it. I go on many trips sometimes up to 2 weeks camping. So looking for a cooler that can hold ice for a long time.

Any input on Engel or yeti coolers? I know their very expensive, but do they hold ice longer? Are they worth the extra cost over another coleman?

A cooler is really a simple thing. Efficiency depends on nothing more than how much insulation it has. The best one I've ever seen was home made by a friend of mine. It had a galvanized tin casing and inner liner with 4 inches of styrofoam in between. It did't just keep your stuff cold in a puddle of ice and water. It actually kept stuff frozen for several days.

Have you considered fixing the cooler if you were happy with it?

There is a Service centre for Coleman in Mississauga on Matheson near Tomken.

I have purchased cooler and stove parts from them.

Here is a link with some of what they have to offer but more is available instore.

http://www.warehouseoutlet.ca/en/shop-by-category/camping-equipment/c378018856/c377953448/index.html

Cheers,

Mark

I have a Yeti and haven't done side by sides with my Coleman Extreme but it seems to keep ice for similar periods. I do like the handles that latch the lid down and the fact that it can be locked. It's built super tough and I don't think twice about standing on it. The drain knob is much better than the usual push plugs as well. Def pricey as you know ;)

do you know anyone that works in a hospital...most get shipments of meds like insulin that are pack in styro coolers,roughly 40 L size....but these are 2.5 inch thick high density styro coolers.not those crappy ones you can buy,for these to break you have to smash them over a rock. I have a couple and they keep ice longer then my coleman extreme. Plus the price is right.

based on many, many coolers... factoring in price also, this is my ranking for the 3 easiest to find 62-70qt wheeled models

1.Igloo maxcold cube

2.coleman ultimate Xtreme (the green ones)

3.coleman Xtreme (cheaper frosty blue model)

Yeti is the same as blue Xtreme for cold retention. This was a side by side use observation.

engels and moellers are probably the best i've used for keeping things cold but they are both pricey and neither comes in wheeled model that i know of.

Yes, the large coleman Xtreme handle is easily broken. I've had several come off planes broken where it won't stay in the socket anymore. ...these would be coolers used ONCE only. They're all used once to fly home then sold to friends.

Igloo Maxcold keeps my stuff frozen rock hard right to my door even after being rerouted through some VERY hot regions. I think keeping contents packed in a compact ball/cube exposes less surface area compared to large retangular layout is what makes the igloo maxcold cubes more effective in my experience. The wheeling handle is metal and retractable like a suitcase so it will not get broken. This is the model i've been buying the last few years. The handle is strong enough to cart around its 70lbs load (max airline limit) with a 21" carry-on on top, and a rod case on top of that..

I have 3 wheeled 70qt maxcold's cubes and 1 62qt wheeled coleman Xtreme being used for storage because friends can't use anymore. :)