FishFinder/GPS Units

Matt Janes

I picked up a Humminbird 385ci today. Long story short, there are maps of the US (roadways and lakes) but there is nothing for Canada. It shows the country and where you are but thats about it. Does anyone know if there is anyway to get maps of any kind on there for Canada without having to shell out 150 bucks on the Navionics? I have a trailer on Lake Kashawakamak and pretty much fish that lake exclusively, so it seems like a waste to get maps for the whole country when I only need one lake. I'm just wondering if there is anyone else who has had a similar experience and what they did.

Thanks,

Matt

Your lake may or may not be 'charted'. If it isn't, you won't get any depths/hazards,etc.

You can get a topo chip that will give you land contours, the shape of the lake, islands, etc. They are much cheaper than a Navionics chip.

Call Jocelyn at Angling Outfitters in Woodstock.

Hey Matt,

Your other option would be to download the navionics charts to your iPad and get a waterproof case. It would probably costs the same amount as the hotmaps premium but you would have a bigger screen to look around on. Ram mount also makes a mount to attach the iPad to your console securely. When you are done fishing, you just unhook the iPad and go home.

Funny you should mention the navionics for iPad cause I bought the one for iPhone about a month ago. There are a couple of issues for me with this situation. I bought the humminbird specifically because it had the GPS functionality as I already have a fish finder albeit a cheaper unit. Also I got the 385ci on clearance for $229 marked down from $425 and it is not returnable and says so right on the receipt. So I think I am going to keep it and shell out the $150 at some point and just get the navionics hotmaps.

Thanks again,

Matt

Funny you should mention the navionics for iPad cause I bought the one for iPhone about a month ago. There are a couple of issues for me with this situation. I bought the humminbird specifically because it had the GPS functionality as I already have a fish finder albeit a cheaper unit. Also I got the 385ci on clearance for $229 marked down from $425 and it is not returnable and says so right on the receipt. So I think I am going to keep it and shell out the $150 at some point and just get the navionics hotmaps.

Thanks again,

Matt

Haha,

If you bought it for the GPS capabilities, you are pretty much stuck with buying the maps. The hotmaps is pretty good and the upgrade from your previous fish finder will definitely be noticeable. Being able to mark way points is a great feature.

If you need help installing it, let me know although I am sure you can handle it.

Adam

Navionics just released auto-routing as an in-app purchase. Based on your boat settings and the chart data, Auto-routing will plot a course for your travels! Routes can be edited for alternate plans or situations. Auto-routing is for general planning and reference only – it does NOT replace safe navigation practices and should never be your only reference source. This will save you time on the water.

as for the HotMaps, you do get one free year of updates. Just make sure you register the chart within the first two months of purchase.

http://navionics.com/en/freshest-data-0

• 2 weeks later...

If you purchase a new chart called Navionics+, you will be able to read the new sonarcharts data that is now available in the US (and coming soon to Canada). On certain Humminbird plotters, you can record your sonarlogs, upload it to Navionics, then download the new bathymetric data to the chart. here is the link. I will also post some screen shots recently done in NJ. The shots show the difference from before Hurricane Sandy and after.
http://www.navionics.com/en/navionics-plus

if you fish one lake exclusively, why not map it yourself, you probably already know it quite well anyway

1 colour icon for 5 ft depth

1 colour icon for 10 ft depth

1 colour icon for 20 ft depth

1 colur icon for 30 ft depth, and so one

and so on.....

mark the top of any shoals or rocks or interesting humps

viola you will then have the most accurate map of all