Restoring a Bass Boat.. questions?

Rich

My dad has offered me up his 19' hydra sports bass boat with a 150hp fast strike. Motor works great. The boat needs to be rebuilt though. The hull is fine. The wiring and carpeting, bilge and livewell need replacing. Anyone have any helpful tips - namely: to save money on the restoration?

bbcboards.net

there's a boat restoration section in the forums, lots of resource and information

depending on how old the boat is, you might want to check out the stringers/transom if there's wood in it

Edited by ah_long

Rich, I PM'd you a while back when my barge was ready and was BLOCKED!!!!!!! I can get a hint. I was out to PT. Bruce today with a member from here for jumbos, actually the Ranger man, and he broke my bow butt seat, ask him. He didn't block my PM. Maybe a computer error? Seriously Albert is the man to talk about bass boat rehab. An expert right here for you to soak up real info and lives very close by. He is the type of guy to mentor you.

Saving money on a restoration might be an oxymoron. It can be done. I have turned sows ears into silk purses on some homes over the years. If I hadn't I'd still be making iron somewhere probably.

Don't let anyone tell you it's impossible. A few OT shifts would help but nothing is impossible, look at Albert's Ranger for example, before and after. You just have to decide what your budget is, where can you do it, what do you have at your disposal in tools, time and barter, and how much sweat equity you can put into it. I'm not the guy that will help you sand and paint but am the guy to get you the sanding pads and paint at cost.

I know a guy that did a body off resto on a 55 Chevy and his girlfriend had left him for 2 weeks before he noticed. And took his headlights.

How did you make out with the inflatable Sea Eagle by the way?

What did you think about Albert's Ranger project?

Blocked PM? Excuse me? I dont even know how to do that buddy.

I remember replying with an entire page of questions you ignored, actually.

I took the hint, not you! Lol

Edited by Rich

Rich, also check out iboats.com. The forums there are really helpful. Whether its questions about fiberglass or motor work and everything in between, you can find it there. Good luck. As long as there is no rot, all your work is the relatively easy stuff. Painstaking with wiring but definitely workable with a tester and voltmeter. Good luck. The motor is great. Just make sure you run good quality oil and dont thrash it.