Buying Boat From The States?

moemoe

Living in Windsor I have bought a few boats from the USA. It is not the HARD.

You will have to pay GST and PST when you bring it into the country, credit card is preferred depending on $$ spent.

You will also need a letter from the trailer mfgr that states NO recalls or safety issues have been noted on said trailer. You will also pay $200(approx) for Registar of Imported Vehicles (RIV)

That is basically it. Not sure if you are buying new or used but the same applies to both.

Good luck in your search.

If you or anyone is looking for a 2003 Ranger 621 fully loaded I have 1 for sale.

Bob

Thanks for the input, and welcome Bob, I'd love to buy your boat, it's a beauty but I have hunch that the price is a little too much,...... was wondering how to go about a title search in the states for a boat and motor, and is there separate title searches for boat and motor or is it one? and if used, do I still need a letter from the trailer manufacturer? Also does anything change if it is a gift?

I bought a boat over at Metro Boat Sales and they delivered it to me in Sombra, I met them at the fairy and it saved me from paying the michigan sales tax on it. It was a heck of lot cheaper than on in Ontario I priced it around and it was over $10,000 differance for the boat and motor. It's a brand new 2004 Starcraft Futura and a 2006 Mercury OptiMax 115 h p with full warranty.

was wondering how to go about a title search in the states for a boat and motor, and is there separate title searches for boat and motor or is it one? and if used, do I still need a letter from the trailer manufacturer? Also does anything change if it is a gift?

Technically, I believe you're supposed to send the titles to the border 5 days ahead of time and they will conduct the search so make sure your not taking anything out of the country that may still have a lien on it.

As Bob said you have to pay the $200 rip off and get Canadian Tire to inspect your vehicle (trailer). You must also have the recall notice from the trailer manufacturer. You should get 3 separate titles (boat, motor, trailer).

Can't find the one for boats...but I've always had this one book marked from my car search days. Poke around that site and you may find what you need. 72 hours prior all documents must be at the border crossing. First you go there with the item..get you paperwork/clearance and next stop is Canadian Customs for more paperwork, tax collection etc and a trip to CTC for a trailer certification. Not sure how you do that since you won't even have plates to be pulling the trailer yet. You may even need to float the boat/trailer and all on something else...like bringing in an old car.

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/export/expo...tor_vehicle.xml

Edited by irishfield