Rainbow Camp

skdds

Finally heading to the French soon, Rainbow Camp ..read the posts here and done some research. First time in this area. I'll probably be trolling to cover as much water as possible. Hope to land some walleye and pike, and if luck prevails a ski.

Any tips on lures and productive areas (not asking for honey holes!) and other suggestions would be much appreciated!

thanks skdds

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Rainbow Camp. If you have not been to the French River area of the province you should consider a trip. Very scenic, typical northern shield . Here is a pic of the river from the nearby provincial park.IMG_0231.JPG.

Rainbow camp is a nice place to stay to relax or fish. The hosts are very friendly and the cabins well looked after and clean.

The fishing this weekend was tough. A cold front came through saturday eve and the fishing slowed a lot. No eyes for any of us up there last week but they are there according to the regulars. The river has a lot of deep areas (>70 feet) and as a very typical shield lake lots of rocks..this year some are unmarked just below the high water line so need to be careful. Lost a lot of tackle in the rocks but no props! Caught a few small pike, oos smallies, and a number of good size perch. This one tried to inhale a sucker I was using to lure pike!DSCN7502.JPG

Heading back to T.O., I finished my weekend minnows on the docks at point au baril..got rewarded with some nice slabs.IMG_0234.jpg.

All in all nice to get away.

BTW, in here is what the sky looks like when a Tornado Warning is issued...luckily did not happen..IMG_0230.JPGIMG_0229.JPG.

Thanks for reading!

skdds.

it's a pretty section scenery wise but it gets pounded pretty hard (North Channel, around Rainbow)

PM me if you're going back and I'll give you some ski spots (if you're going to let'em go), better chance for skis in September

Thanks Chris, I've heard that September is a better time for musky and that there are some big fish in the north channel! I did troll along some Jakes and a Believer in a few suggested spots for a while ...but no hits or follows. For sure I needed more time there to work the river and learn more. I also have an opportunity to head up to Lochhaven in September, not sure if will make it or not. I was hoping for some walleye on this last trip. Was not meant to be! still a nice place to stay though..

Well be at Rainbow for to weeks in September. Caught three skis last year topping at 49" for one, but I have an idea on where a 50 hangs out. Good to hear you hd a good time. Anxious to get back ourselves. Up at Lakair right now and we were under the same tornado warning too - but not much more than some thunder and lightning.

I'm forwarding regards from Rainbow camp Rich. Tough weekend for me though!. I hope Lakair is productive now, and that you get your 50" at Rainbow in September..will look forward to your report.