Thinking of a 2006 polaris sportsman atv

We have a chain drive and a shaft drive in Polaris atvs. Both do well.

My son is looking at the 2006 but apparently it is a belt drive.

If anyone has had a belt drive atv are there any issues.

Any comment is appreciated

Thanks Blizz

I have a 2008, Outlander 500, I replaced the belt this winter, it had over 8000 km on it. They do last along time.

Thanks IFH, that gives me the reassurance I needed to hear, never have had a belt drive but with your recomendation I am not to worried, 8000 sounds pretty good, thanks again.

Just bought a belt drive yamaha myself. I would be more worried that its a Polaris than the fact it's a belt.... LOL!! Seriously though, we have a couple belt drive autos in our hunt camp, and they seem to do pretty well! I wouldn't be concerned!

I have a 2006 Polaris Sportsman belt drive. Finally changed the belt for the first time this year, it was still working but I use mine for hauling logs out of the bush and all sorts of things, it is a real work horse! After 6 years of towing other ATVs, trailers full of stuff and treating it like a tractor I just figured it was preventive maintanance.

Just bought a belt drive yamaha myself. I would be more worried that its a Polaris than the fact it's a belt.... LOL!! Seriously though, we have a couple belt drive autos in our hunt camp, and they seem to do pretty well! I wouldn't be concerned!

LOL good one thanks, it sounds like it will more than stand up to my son abuse,,,,,,,,,,,,,I mean use lol, have a great day.

I have a 2006 Polaris Sportsman belt drive. Finally changed the belt for the first time this year, it was still working but I use mine for hauling logs out of the bush and all sorts of things, it is a real work horse! After 6 years of towing other ATVs, trailers full of stuff and treating it like a tractor I just figured it was preventive maintanance.

Thanks Cliff, it pays to seek some advice from others on the board who have field tested an item before you make a purchase , sounds like yours has already payed for itself, thanks again, if u go to Buckhorn catch a couple for me, miss those lakes, have a great week.

John