Dobyns Rods

TheMaverick

Can't you balance any rod with the right reel?

I dunno, you guys can use your fancy stuff. My mixed bag of gear works fine. You'd probably laugh at some of my gear, but the bottom line is I catch fish ;)

Its not the rods that do the catching.

S.

Nonsense is what I say to an off the shelf rod in regards to balance.

Think about it!

Lol!!! I haven't jumped into the world of custom rods yet but if and when I do, I will be contacting you. The amount of people speaking highly of your work, I don't think I could go wrong...

In the mean time, you will not find a better balanced rod than a Dobyns and I will be sticking with them.

Can't you balance any rod with the right reel?

I dunno, you guys can use your fancy stuff. My mixed bag of gear works fine. You'd probably laugh at some of my gear, but the bottom line is I catch fish ;)

Its not the rods that do the catching.

S.

Never laugh at a man catching fish !!

I am very picky with my gear so I'm glad Dobyns got it right. It's about balance and while there are lighter rods out there, they've really missed the mark on that aspect. I also prefer a full cork handle and ECS reels seats so that's a plus for me. They also use decent grade cork for a shelf rod. Overall, it's everything I want in a rod since these days every company are moving away from cork and to split grips.

Edited by TrippyJai

Hey Drop,

I know you already know the quality of the Dobyns champion series so good call in that. I have yet to buy a rod that long but a few people I have talked to really like that rod.

I am trying a lew's this year for the first time as well. I grabbed a team gold speed spool and if it works half as good as it looks, I will be impressed. Between Frank and Marc, they seem to have a severe addiction to those reels so they can't be half bad... I have given up hope with shimano when it comes to $200 to $300 reels so hopefully the gold fits that ticket.

Have you considered the BB1 in the 5.1:1 for crankin ? It is what I use and it is awesome. It does not have the instant anti reverse and when a fish hits you can actually feel it through the handle as it pops backwards a little. you also get a better feel for the action of your bait. For all my other reels I like the tourney pros.They cast a mile and are VERY smooth. In the past I used mainly Cores and Chronarchs,the old ones when they were still decent, and I like the Lews better.

Have you considered the BB1 in the 5.1:1 for crankin ? It is what I use and it is awesome. It does not have the instant anti reverse and when a fish hits you can actually feel it through the handle as it pops backwards a little. you also get a better feel for the action of your bait. For all my other reels I like the tourney pros.They cast a mile and are VERY smooth. In the past I used mainly Cores and Chronarchs,the old ones when they were still decent, and I like the Lews better.

I was planning to put on a Revo SX on the rod. Their slowest gearing was 6.4:1. Ed didn't have that particular reel in stock and suggested the Lews to me. The gear ratio was my fault. I should have asked, I didn't. I'm not that concerned about the gear ratio.....ignorance is bliss....LOL!!!