Minden/ Haliburton Ice Out lakers this weekend.

snagmaster

Hi Guys,

I am planning to take my beautiful wife up to the cottage this weekend to do some ice out lkaer flat lining.

Does anyone know which Lakes are open water and with a public lauch that is accessable right now?

Also, this is my first time targeting lakers at this time of year. Any tips woulf be appreciated.

Thanks, and good luck on the water

If you can find some open water go for it , you never know . The lake trout will be almost every where on a lake at this time of year but one good thing for the flatlinners is that they will be shallow . Troll no deeper then 20 feet with any silver spoon (Williams , Cleo , Sutton) and let a lot of line out while trolling , the boat tends to spook the lakers a bit when they are up shallow . The water is going to be really cold , almost to cold so try and find some warmer water on the lake you are fishing . The bugs and baitfish will be active in this warmer water and the lake trout will follow . The lake that I fish in the spring the lakers are stacked up in a small bay on the sheltered north side of the lake , the water is warmer there and they are in there feeding on anything that swims (they are very aggressive) Good luck !

Most lakes are open water (from the sattelite pics and Singingdog's report).

It can be tough fishing the first few days after ice-out, the fish could be anywhere, I think you'll mark quite a few deep. I like the flat lining 2 or 3 weeks after ice-out, when things warm up a bit and some shallow bays are warmer than the main lake

trolling a spoon is a pretty common technique, Williams, Mepps Cyclops, Cleo

give it a shot though, it will feel great to get back in the boat

edit- 4x4 bassin beat me do it, the post came up while I was hunt and peck typing, funny

Edited by chris.brock