First Crappie trip of the year

Garry2Rs

Hi all;

We wanted to fish Saturday but the snow was blowing sideways around here.

This morning, Sunday, it was still pretty cool, but it was sunny and promised to get warmer as the day went on.

My neighbour, his daughter and I drove over to Buckhorn.

There were tons of Sunfish, but the Crappie fishing was slow, but steady. When we left after 4 hours we had 33 decent Crappie between the three of us.

Garry2rs

Yes Buckhorn, sorry I thought it was self-evident.

I tried all my other regular spots, in that area and only found action in one sheltered spot on Upper B...

However, with the warmer weather this week, next weekend should be good all over. .

I went out yesterday for a couple of hours, tried a couple of favorite spots and got a few but mostly small ones. The water temperature when I went out was about 47° but by mid afternoon it had warmed up to 53. I find the best crappie fishing is when water temperatures are between 58-62°. Was still nice to get out and get a nice feed of fresh fish though.

No real good fishies caught last night, and none that I'd like to take a picture with, but here's the bounty. Oh, by the way, water levels are up a ton in the Kawartha's. Be careful out there!

yum.

8678545261_bb86f74e00_z.jpg

Edited by EC1

I was out everyday this week.

Saturday was awful with the snow and wind...We only lasted an hour in total, , Split by a warm-up break going for gas at the Rez.

Sunday was good. No big fish but lots of fun.

Monday and Tuesday we sunny and the bite was slow. The water was up about 4 inches each day.

Wednesday, in the rain was great!...Again no size but lots of action.

Thursday wasn't very good, but the water is dropping....

I'm hoping that this weekend will get things going in my other spots.