Deep cycle for starting?

Anyone using a deep cycle battery as a starter battery...?

I know outboards typically don't charge enough for deep cycle... But 90% of my days on the water my motor is only started once then runs for 5-12 hours straight...

Anyways... Looking for experience...

Thanks

They will work but are not recomended. I would go with a marine cranking battery. If i'm not mistaken my 175 calls for a battery of at least 450ca. I have always used batteries of at least 800ca or more and they last at least 5 yrs and have lots of jam to start your motor.

waht are you cranking? will have no issues with smaller outboards but true deep cycle rarely over 220cca i would say under 90 hp no issues, just remember dc batterys are designed for light loads over long periods of time and not really intended for the high current rush of a starter, i use a dual purpose battery for cranking and electronics it's the best or least of both worlds depending on how you look at it

Also be careful about getting stranded though, or make sure you have a rope to pull that motor over by hand if you drain it.

Deep Cycles can start a motor without issue as long as you enough cranking amps. Batteries don't boil off water while under use, they boil off during the charging cycle, so if you are constantly charging it with the engine yes your elecrolyte levels can go down. An AGM woul dbe ideal if you are using it as a dual purpose as it won't lose any water but it may overheat if you overcharge it with your outboard. There are a few things to keep in mind, thats why most people just use a deep/starter combo battery for the ouboard and a true deep cycle for everything else. Less to think about. I haven't had to charge my cranking battery in 3 years.

Now if you were to be using a starting battery as a deep cycle you will run into problems with the battery. They are not designed to last through more than a charging cycles.

Edited by jedimaster