Last skidoo question before summer, I promise

mr blizzard

We bought a 2002 skidoo Grand Touring SE 800 during mid winter, had a blown piston.

We rebuilt the engine, surprisingly not to much wrong with it lol but it was a good project for my son and I to work on, small crack in casing etc.

UNKNOWN to us was after all the repairs that we did was that the CALIBRATION MODULE or ecm is fried. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

After asking around town, which does not take long up here we retested the stator, it is fine, the VERDICT .......a crapped out ecm.

Apparently the ecm on the SE 800 is not interchangable with other models, live and learn. :(

I have a request.......does anyone on the board have an ecm that they would be willing to sell from a machine that maybe is being parted out.

This machine will be for my wife :clapping:

Thanks

John

A LITTLE HINT...

Get rid of it as soon as you can....

Those 8's are boat anchors..

The engine and ecm are always first to go then the ellectrical problems start after the new ecm is installed.

Edited by saltydawg

A LITTLE HINT...

Get rid of it as soon as you can....

Those 8's are boat anchors..

The engine and ecm are always first to go then the ellectrical problems start after the new ecm is installed.

Thanks for responding..........I think :( I believe u as I know little about skidoo products,,,,,,,,, I guess it just wasn't what I was hoping to hear, are they really trouble.

brp= bring rods and pistons

the 800 e-tech is a very sophisticated engine, won't even run correctly if you swap injectors side to side. brp has serval tsb and recalls for programming and pistons, if your working on the crank make sure you have iso flex in the bearings and check ALL oil feed tubes.

most of the 8's had 2-3 year warrantys check with the local dealer maybe beable to cover under warranty.

Ecmilly,

the sled is a 2002, etec motors werent even in sleds until around 2008........

then to ruin your day further i believe that that is one of the very rare sdi 800's only made a model year maybe two, maybe you can try a 600 sdi box to get it to run

look around on some sled sites like doo talk, hardcoresledder, freedomsledder

you will find something I would think

Thanks Smellybox, checked the sites out last night, little success.

then to ruin your day further i believe that that is one of the very rare sdi 800's only made a model year maybe two, maybe you can try a 600 sdi box to get it to run

LOL :tease::tease::rofl2::wallbash::oops: Thats my feelings right now LOL. As mentioned my son put his heart and soul into working on the motor , he just turned 18 a couple of days ago. Done right from the inside out, great learning experience for us plus some time spent together, as mentioned it was going to be for my wife.

But at $800 for a new module that would go into a machine with a troubled history does not make sense either. I think we will shut this project down based on your advice and that of Saltydawg and Smellybox.

I truly appreciate all your knowledge and honesty, thats what makes this board what it is.

Like I have told my son many times,,,,you only fail if you don't try.

In the scheme of things this is small potatoes.

The time spent with my son........priceless

Shutting this project down.........beneficial

You actually made my day....now we won't be putting any more money into a dead horse,

Cheers

John

Thanks for responding..........I think :( I believe u as I know little about skidoo products,,,,,,,,, I guess it just wasn't what I was hoping to hear, are they really trouble.

Thanks for the info saltydawg, I appreciate it, we had a lot to talk about last night, new module is pushing 800 dollars. We had come so far redoing it who would know.

2 things that may help- pm bernie he may have access to a used one at the dealership or know a cheat.

Best advise I can give you it to take the injection off and bolt on carbs off a 800 done it on arctic cats no problems but never a doo

2 things that may help- pm bernie he may have access to a used one at the dealership or know a cheat.

Best advise I can give you it to take the injection off and bolt on carbs off a 800 done it on arctic cats no problems but never a doo

Thanks ecmilley, I will.

X2

It would be a shame to have come this far not to get her running again. Don't give up just yet and yes, great time spent with your son. :good:

Thanks fishnsled,,,,,,,,,and yes time with my son is priceless, We used to have 2 children but 11 years ago my daughter became an angel :angel: but we are still blessed with our son , just turned 18, and his idea of a good time is turning wrenches and getting greasy, not into the smoking, drugs etc :good: 2 weeks ago he re and reid his transmission, pretty much self taught, runs like a charm with no leaks.