dead deep cycle battery

super dave

Might want to try this stuff, Battery Equaliser

http://alexmilne.com/resources/pdf/battery_equaliser.pdf

Read good things about it on another fishing board and some guys are swearing by it for their deep cycles. One guy had completely dead batteries and added this stuff and after 4 charge and drain cycles the batteries were as good as new and got 2 more years out of them. Could buy you a season or 2 for much less than the cost of a new battery.

First of all....real deep cycle batteries are expensive. Some Canadian Tire stores sell one but it costs over 300 dollars. Those "Nautilus" batteries are in fact hybrid batteries that can deliver enough current to be used as a starting battery.

Second: Real deep cycle batteries must be recharged with chargers that can do the job. Maybe Canadian Tire does sell them now but not 3 or 4 years ago. Sure, some people get more years of service than others but lit's due to the fact that they are not using a real deep cycle battery or for a bunch of other reasons. Not everyone uses their batteries the same way.

So far, the best deep cycle battery charger that I have used can be found at Walmart's.....lol. It's made by a company called Schumacher. On top of that....they are inexpensive. I recommend the 15 amp model. When I first bought this charger, I recharged a couple of deep cycle batteries that I had and even a dead car battery. One deep cycle battery (Demone) was new and was acting up. I even returned it to the manufacturer and they assured me that it was ok. This is when I decided to throw away my old CT battery charger and buy the Schumacher. Anyway, the dead car battery was restored, and my new Demone now charges fully. It has been over 2 years now and so far all the batteries are doing fine. I still have a few years before I can really say that I have solved my problem of having batteries that die off after 3 or 4 years.

If you ever have a battery that will not accept a charge from your small charger (voltmeter does not budge), add another battery in series with the dead battery and connect the charger for a few minutes. This extra current overcomes the resistance to the charge in the dead battery. Another way is to use a very strong battery charger and increase the charge rate to 40 or 50 amps or even more current for a few minutes.

As for the stuff that goes into the battery to make it "hardier".....I doubt it. If that was the case, all the battery companies would be using it.

Yes, some dead batteries can be restored. It's a long process involving repeated charging of the battery using only distilled water and changing the water after each charge until there is no more acid in the cells then adding acid and recharging the battery.