Flipping Sticks?

Deeds

I used the 7'11" Shimano Crucial Heavy action last year. Real light, yet powerful stick.

I'd say if you were to lower your budget on rod or reel on your combo I'd say the reel for sure. Having a nice light rod for all day flipping will make for a more "Easy on the body" day!

RJ

I'm thankful for all the input guys, cheers. I'd like a stick between 7'6 and 7'11. I just want a little more versatility out there when I run into slop mats, I don't want to lose anything because I'm not geared up properly. I've been checking out some deals online and the one on here ^^ looks pretty good too. Thanks again, let y'all know when I grab something.

When I first got into bass fishing real good some of the first "high end" rods I bought were for flipping/pitching and frogging. Simply because the rod's for the job needed to be powerful, sensitive, light in hand, and warranty covered. I can deal with a cheap casting rod and can fish it all day with little fatigue but give me a cheap flipping stick and the amount of extra rod weight sucks. Your swinging light to 1oz baits constantly all day long looking for a a handful of bites a light balanced setup is needed for this so try and get the best you can afford.

I started with a pair of St Croix Legend Tournament rods a 7'3XH and a 7'H(1 blew apart the other is long gone) Seemed light to me paired with Curado 200E7's caught lot's of fish and learned the basics of pitching and punching through cover with plastics and jigs. But then I went over to what G.Loomis has to offer. The difference in balance was huge. I didn't realize how "tip-heavy" the St Croix's were and when your rod is pointed to the sky most of the day you want the weight in your wrist not at the top of the rod, tip down applications like twitchbaits, spinnerbaits, jerks or canks the balance of the rod is not as important due to the rod being pointed down 80% of the time.

I purchased a BCFR893 Mossyback, it's a 7'5" Medium Heavy powered rod excellent for all around pitching. Balances really nice with a sub 7oz reel like the Core 100MgFV, or 50Mg7's. This rod gave me a taste of what a expensive flipping stick is all about, balance, power, amazing sensitivity and backed by a awesome warranty. I'm a tackle nut so I upgrade to the BCFR894 GLX (sub $500) at 7'5" and Hvy power this is one of my go-to stick's in the cover and don't think I will try anything else for the heavy cover flipping/punching. The price is a few hundred but you quickly forget about it when you feel the sensitivity balance and power all working together.

Your looking for a stout rod that your chasing big fish with buy a quality stick you will not be disappointed. Lot's of great options out there!

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

bass pro rods are great value for the money...carbon lite and morris series

I picked up a new crucial, 7'2'...pretty confident I'll be very happy with it, feels great, was retail 170 i think but you can find them for cheaper

+1 especially with the current sales for rod/reel trade-in coupon

When I first got into bass fishing real good some of the first "high end" rods I bought were for flipping/pitching and frogging. Simply because the rod's for the job needed to be powerful, sensitive, light in hand, and warranty covered. I can deal with a cheap casting rod and can fish it all day with little fatigue but give me a cheap flipping stick and the amount of extra rod weight sucks. Your swinging light to 1oz baits constantly all day long looking for a a handful of bites a light balanced setup is needed for this so try and get the best you can afford.

I started with a pair of St Croix Legend Tournament rods a 7'3XH and a 7'H(1 blew apart the other is long gone) Seemed light to me paired with Curado 200E7's caught lot's of fish and learned the basics of pitching and punching through cover with plastics and jigs. But then I went over to what G.Loomis has to offer. The difference in balance was huge. I didn't realize how "tip-heavy" the St Croix's were and when your rod is pointed to the sky most of the day you want the weight in your wrist not at the top of the rod, tip down applications like twitchbaits, spinnerbaits, jerks or canks the balance of the rod is not as important due to the rod being pointed down 80% of the time.

I purchased a BCFR893 Mossyback, it's a 7'5" Medium Heavy powered rod excellent for all around pitching. Balances really nice with a sub 7oz reel like the Core 100MgFV, or 50Mg7's. This rod gave me a taste of what a expensive flipping stick is all about, balance, power, amazing sensitivity and backed by a awesome warranty. I'm a tackle nut so I upgrade to the BCFR894 GLX (sub $500) at 7'5" and Hvy power this is one of my go-to stick's in the cover and don't think I will try anything else for the heavy cover flipping/punching. The price is a few hundred but you quickly forget about it when you feel the sensitivity balance and power all working together.

Your looking for a stout rod that your chasing big fish with buy a quality stick you will not be disappointed. Lot's of great options out there!

Good point, I am selling a GLX 894 right now for $300, just in case any one want to trade, I accept St Criox Legend Extreme 7 or long MH rods

FWIW? This week's Beyond the Cast with JP DeRose this week tested 4 flippin' sticks with MSRPs of $184-$200.

Duckett White Ice

G. Loomis GL2

Okuma Helios

Shimano Cumara

Using their tests they concluded that there was a trade-off between the rods tested. The 2 rods that had the best balance and accuracy rated lower in the power and sensitivity categories. Durability was not tested and warranties were not mentioned.

This thread is relevant to me, lol. I am thinking of purchasing a Team Diawa Tierra 7'6" h older with cork handle.For $30. Does anyone know this rod? Any feedback would be grate ( sorry for theead hijack) I'd hate to discover on the water that I had made a terrible decision. Bring on the soft water!

as most said, you can find a nice light and sensitive stick for around a 100. With braid and 20' of line out I felt the bites on my old cheap basspro im6 just fine. My current low $100 quantum is lighter and comfortable and nicer. A glx is overkill IMO for this application.

Edited by landry

Yup, I picked up this combo. For the money and for my first flippin' stick, I think I scored a nice deal. Thanks to you all again for the input. Chance, the seller, cheers bud. Nice doing business with you, can't wait to get out and pitch for some lunkers!

Hey

In the $100 to $150 price range I'd look for a Abu Veritas 7'6' MH for $100 (and can be found for less) or the new Fenwick Aetos 7'6' H rod which Sail sells for $149. Sail occasionally has pretty good promos as well. A couple of weeks ago all their regular priced rods were 20% off.

Mike D