Portable Fishfinder

SirWhite

I have been looking into different portable units and have come up with only additional questions.

Does anyone use down scan or down imaging on the ice? Or does the transducer need to be moving in order for it to work? Has anyone used the fishin buddy from Humminbird? Looks like it would work from the dock as well.

i am needing portability for rental boats this season and maybe even something for the end if a deep docks.I am looking for a great product for money spent, and know there are a lot of different guys on this forum who have already done what I am looking to do. I realize as well that I could build one into a portable unit just still not sure on brand or gimmicks

Feedback would be fantastic and thanks in advance

I picked up a Humminbird Piranhamax 160PT back in December price matched at CT for $115. Right now they have them on for $110.49.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/FishFinders/PRDOVR~0793912P/Piranha+160+Portable+Fish+Finder.jsp?locale=en

At the time it was suggested to get a better unit but my logic was that the portable case / battery / charger by itself was selling for $140, so even if it didn't work so good, I would just sell the unit cheap on Kijiji and keep the rest. Just mount a better unit in it. This thing works. Colour and higher resolution would be nice, but it does work.

P2220010_zpsc3c39d23.jpg

The upper line is a dead sticked tube jig, the bottom line is a swimbait in 115ft of water. You can see both swivels too.

Burt :)

You really don't need anything fancy to do what u want to do. I use an old lowrance X-96 and it will mark my jig at any depth I've fished, up to 120ft anyways.

Colour is nice, but all it really does is eat up batteries.

A decent grey scale unit will mark the exact same fish as a colour unit....remember that.

That said, humminbird has some nice combo portable units out right now for a fair price. Lowrance is kinda slacking in the portable department.

S.

I picked up a Piranha Max 160 Portable for 129 bucks at Sail last year. Seems like a good unit. It was great in Temagami last year. I'm still learning how to read it but I like the product for the money. My advice is to make sure you get a dual beam unit. I found be able to mark fish near the boat instead of just below was a help.

Kijiji is your friend.... Just picked up a 788ciHD for $525 and it came with a battery,bag and ice ducer. Took the190 out o f the humminbird factory bag and popped in the 7. Fits like a glove. Sold the 190 in the other bag.....