Bitter Lake?

davis

Hey all,

Considering a summer cottage rental on Bitter Lake near Haliburton (Guilford). It kinda came up out of the blue through a friend of a friend - and after some quick "interneting", doesn't seem to be too much detail out there about the fishing opportunities.

Anyone have experience with this lake and some info to share?

please and thanks,

d

There's rock bass, perch and lake trout there according to the ministry. They also stock about 400 laker yearlings every two years. It's a small lake ...no more than 1500 metres long and 250 wide.

i've never been there.

Wow, sounds like a fisherman's paradise :unsure:

That's too bad. It's a nice looking place, great beach for the kids @ a pretty good rate. I guess I can check out the status of surrounding lakes to see if there's something worth towing the boat to.

thanks

I have a cottage about 20 minutes further up the road and stayed on Bitter a few times in the winter at a friend's cottage for a boys weekend. Bitter is a small deep lake that is stocked with lake trout and has I believe a year round season for them. I didnt catch a fish there but ice fishing when I was there was more about getting some fresh air and recovering from the festivities. Like the previous poster said many other lakes close by.

I've been there once a few years back and the lake does hold smallmouth bass as well. If I remember correctly, despite being a deep lake it has some nice shoreline features too. There's a public boat ramp (soil/mud) when I visited which was a bit shallow but worked with a 16' V-hull.

There's minimal boat traffic so I'd say it's pretty kid friendly if they want to get into some panfish action. A quite lake for canoeing or paddle boating as well. We spent a day at a nearby lake (either Kennesis or Redstone but I can't remember) for some smallie fishing, which was just a short drive away.

Thanks for the additional info. I think we're going to go ahead with the rental. We'll be there during the week only, so i'm expecting a nice quiet lake. Even if I only get out to panfish with the kids it'll be worth it. If I can sneak out and get some alone time on a nearby lake, that'll be bonus.

Thanks everyone