Trip to Central America in the Summer

DundasSteelheader

Hey guys,

This summer I will be going on a trip to Central America, specifically Cozumel, Belize, Costa Rica and Nicaragua, to do 2 credits for school. I am looking for people to weigh in on wether or not I should bring a fly rod and gear down to fish during the trip. There is a considerable amount of travel involved from country to country, and all that gear would limit the amount of other things I could bring such as clothes since the plane limit is 50 pounds, but I don't want to regret not bringing my gear once im there.

I was thinking about bringing a 10'7wt, 8wt reel and a few boxes of flies. Has anyone done do-it-yourself flyfishing in any of those 4 countries, and is it worth the risk of getting about $300 of gear stolen and the extra weight to fish those locations?

All opinions welcome,

Thanks

I have fished in Belize but with a guide, I did not bring my own gear. One thing to consider is whether your gear is suited for the salt water, also where in Belize do you plan to be? Might not be able to do much fly fishing without a guide/boat in which case they will have gear for you to use. Just some thoughts, I loved Belize and my brother spent a month in Cozumel last summer teaching and loved it as well.

Sounds like a great trip.

Two thoughts:

1. Don't bring anything you aren't afraid to lose, or leave behind.

2. If you don't bring some sort of rod, you'll probably regret it.

The combo I was thinking of bringing isn't particularily expensive, probably worth like $250, so thats not bad. I was thinking the same thing though, I'm going to get to some great water and have no rod and regret it.

I have fished in Belize but with a guide, I did not bring my own gear. One thing to consider is whether your gear is suited for the salt water, also where in Belize do you plan to be? Might not be able to do much fly fishing without a guide/boat in which case they will have gear for you to use. Just some thoughts, I loved Belize and my brother spent a month in Cozumel last summer teaching and loved it as well.

Sounds like a great trip.

I will double check that my gear is saltwater safe, good point. I'll be staying in Ambergris Caye, an island off Belize. Unfortunately guides are not an option as I don't think the trip operators allow it and I also don't really have that kind of extra money, as the trip is already expensive. Any fishing I would be doing would be in walking distance from hotels, resorts etc. Thanks for your thoughts

In Cozumel, the entire west side of the island is a marine sanctuary, however on the east side (atlantic) it is open to fishing.(you need a license). The terrain is pretty rugged and the surf usually rough. When i was there, i paid a local kid to take me out spear fishing. Pretty cool experience. If you do go to the east side of the island, be sure to visit coconuts, and ask the waiter for "THE MENU". Also try out the Bob Marley Rasta Bar. You wont regret it. Keep in mind, the east side of the island is mostly undeveloped, and there is absolutely no hydro. The police,(army) patrol regularily, and kick out any non-locals after dark. (had to beg the cop to take my wife there at 4am to watch the sunrise on the atlantic. Thank god she speaks spanish). Take the gear!! You'll regret it if you don't. And most of all...have a great time!!

In Cozumel, the entire west side of the island is a marine sanctuary, however on the east side (atlantic) it is open to fishing.(you need a license). The terrain is pretty rugged and the surf usually rough. When i was there, i paid a local kid to take me out spear fishing. Pretty cool experience. If you do go to the east side of the island, be sure to visit coconuts, and ask the waiter for "THE MENU". Also try out the Bob Marley Rasta Bar. You wont regret it. Keep in mind, the east side of the island is mostly undeveloped, and there is absolutely no hydro. The police,(army) patrol regularily, and kick out any non-locals after dark. (had to beg the cop to take my wife there at 4am to watch the sunrise on the atlantic. Thank god she speaks spanish). Take the gear!! You'll regret it if you don't. And most of all...have a great time!!

Thank you for the suggestions Matt! I'm not sure which side of the island I will be staying on, but if I do get to the east side ill be sure to check those places out. Thanks for the heads up on the marine sanctuary, that's the exact type of info I was looking for. Looks like I potentially won't be getting out in Cozumel much but that's okay!

Thank you for the suggestions Matt! I'm not sure which side of the island I will be staying on, but if I do get to the east side ill be sure to check those places out. Thanks for the heads up on the marine sanctuary, that's the exact type of info I was looking for. Looks like I potentially won't be getting out in Cozumel much but that's okay!

Its pretty cheap to rent a car there. I think we paid $18 US/day I used credit card that has automatic insurance when u rent a car. It takes only about 20 mins to get to the east side. All the resorts are on the west coast of the island. You should try....u won't regret it.