Simcoe perch with the kids

icefisherman

Long promised and overdue ice perch trip to Simcoe with the kids. And a nice change of pace for me from all those lakers lately.

Went to new territory at Beaverton. What a long walk it was waooooo....over 6km in total...and good thing that Aaron from Canadian Trophy sport fishing was kind enough to give a ride and save portion of the walking.

Took us a looong time to find them...in fact for the first 4-5 hrs we had only 1 (one) perch to show for...number of position changes...and finally after 3:30 the show has began/....lots of fish hitting and many were were good sizes too...The good old trick with dropping broken in half minnow down the hole worked as planned and kept them under us....when cleaning many of them were jammed with those broken minnows I dropped down the hole....Both boys did very well and I was just running the "back office" trying to supply to what got to be a very high demand between 3:30 and 4:30pm....

Kept 40 and just had an outstanding dinner....kids went to sleep 2 seconds after getting in bed....ha ha ha very happy with the fishing but even happier with the good exercise we all had. Good thing the snow was not too much and it was not only bare patches of ice....Only took me 1 hr to clean them with my new Rapala electric knife - not bad.

Minnows did most of the damage with some caught on jigging rapala and Bento minnow. 25 fow.

Couple shots for your viewing pleasure:

b97350bb-b80a-4161-b09c-36435ec35b2a_zps

d7c94eb7-5e0f-437b-b9a3-750c6ef0316f_zps

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Well Bruce,

Jordan was actually asking me about you and the smelt couple days ago. You probably have enough ice but wasn't sure if smelt are biting and when you are going. But yes if you are please PM me and we'll happily come to see you and refresh few memories ;-))

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Well Bruce,

Jordan was actually asking me about you and the smelt couple days ago. You probably have enough ice but wasn't sure if smelt are biting and when you are going. But yes if you are please PM me and we'll happily come to see you and refresh few memories ;-))

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Ice broke up with that warm spell. We are back to waiting for solid ice