Eagle Claw Grigsby HP hooks

Alex416

Towards the end of bass season, I started messing with tubes and trying out different methods of fishing them. As I was going through my box today i found a pack Eagle Claw Grigsby HP hooks. Totally forgot I had them, didnt even use them. Upon closer inspection of the hooks, I noticed that the tie loop doesnt fully close. Theres a lock wire on the loop that digs into the tube but i can slip it right out of the loop. Does anyone know if that wire is strong enough that if I have a fish on, it will not break or slip off?

I might not be understanding your question but your line has nothing to do with the SS clip. Your line is tied to the hook eye. The clip is simply there to keep your bait from sliding down the hook shank.

the hook eye isn't completely closed because I would guess the lock wire is inserted after hook manufacturing

I've played around with those hooks, they work great, as intended....but I tend to find a regular wide gap worm hook is good enough for me

you will lose baits regardless what hook you use, part of fishing, but I don't think I ever remember losing a tube because that lock wire slipped out....I think you can buy those lock wire things if you look through a cabelas/bps catalog

have you tried just closing the gap with pliers?

Bare Foot knows what I'm talking about.

I'm not scared to lose bait I've lost already and will most likely lose lots more.

Instead of getting into it more, I'm going to trust your experience with them.

I got 2.75 inch tubes. Most wide gaps are way too big for them and someone suggested them.

Havent tried closing the gap since I'm not sure what its going to do to the lock. But, might as well give it a shot.

Edited by Alex416