Intruder Wire

kemper

Any spey guys here?

Looking for suggestions for household type wire that would would double as intruder wire that I can buy for cheap.

Apparently once you write "Intruder Wire" on the package the price inflates 1000%

Cheers,

seeing as i had to hit youtube to learn about this, could you help me out a bit?

what's the difference between spey and traditional fly fishing?

it appears that it's much less work than traditional fly casting as one fluid movement sends the fly out a good distance. why choose one over the other?

Depends which time of "Spey" fishing you are talking about.

The type of fishing I do, and which is becoming increasingly popular both on the west coast and the Great Lakes is Skagit casting.

Skagit casting uses a shorter than traditional Spey rod (12 foot to 14 foot) to cast under conditions where a normal fly system or long belly Spey system wouldn't be of much use. For example tree lined banks, tight quarters etc.

The skagit line is a short, heavy section of Spey line (between 20 and 30 feet depending on rod length) that lets you chuck big heavy flies (intruders) that would otherwise be unfishable.

Essentially you are using the weight of the skagit head and the friction of the water to load the rod and send the fly out there.

It can be difficult at first, but once you get the hang of letting the rod cast the fly and not forcing it its actually quite easy.