Deep Freeze?!

Bassassins

John from Oziles gave us a call, asking if we want to head out to one of his spots for the day.

The forecast called for -32 with windchill, so why not.

DA84D598-D501-46B4-B204-74D95C45D06A-419

I’m not going I lie here, 6:30 hit us hard and I believe we all couldn't wait for the sun to come out to warm us up a little. Dressed like we were to embark a polar expedition, we quietly set up camp. The old gas auger had a bit of a hard time in these frigid conditions but she got the job done nicely. We spread out over a fast drop off and had holes running from 30 to 90 feet. While John was building up the clam, Smooth already ran in to some trouble.

“Fishing”, he shouts, my favourite statement that is.

A989AFA2-7D14-4CED-AB3E-9D5CDBAC1E29-518

His rod dipped south in a mad bend, but the sensation didn't last to long. Anyhow first blood was drawn, a welcome sight in this cold front.

Fish are feeding

Bouncing a Macho Minnow with a stinger à la Bass of the bottom, I was getting bites soon enough. Watching the massive schools of smelt appear and disappear on the flasher was fun but also slightly distracting.

Almost not noticing a big red mark separating of the bottom…hit…hook-set and we’re in. A good fight, lots of weight and shaking, felt like a nice eye and it was indeed. I pulled her slowly but steady up from 30 feet, her head poked through the ice and the tiny treble poped right out of her mouth.

…Fish on the loose in the hole... slowly slipping back down…

…reflex, grab, almost perfect gill job and out of the water she was. Wet, freezing hands proudly lifted 5 pounds of pure gold in to the frozen shut GoPro. All in hope for a prize picture and all for nothing…but this

Is it on?

9BED86C7-A055-4E46-8B3F-8D60919F6E23-637

Seconds later Smooth was too busy to even yell out, another fine eye couldn't resist the minnow heads this morning. It appeared to be excellent fight and both parties gave it a good go. No chance for escape for this fella here…

985DE9EC-4D0F-4549-A19B-292B4A245E70-419

The sun did an excellent job with the warmth, except not…we both took turns in the captain’s cabin. Seabass's shelter was tempting with a heater and good company as we occupied it in strategic planed breaks. But we braved it outside pretty good for most of the time.

”Fish on…”, John shouts.

All lines on board and we both dashed over to the clam, investigating the ongoings inside. A good pike kept John pretty busy. His skilled hands made this a swift project and this beauty specimen full of smelt was released quickly to go hunt for another day.

20374F66-ACE8-4128-BCB4-4851EFDFA260-518

Back to business as John shouts out again. Another pike came up from 40 feet. Gotta love when they dart out in burst of energy, putting some heat on the equipment and operator.

At the hole this feisty guy sure put up a good show slashing and trashing, he was one unhappy camper. But nothing seemed to escape from Johns iron grip.

FAE1B52C-EB61-45C2-93D4-9CB147615722-518

Mr. Esox was unhooked quickly and sent back to clear, deep waters. As John looked at the clock and said:

“I know an excellent perch spot, you boys down with that?”

Everyone knows I welcome a hot perch bite any day and so we head over to a nearby bay that was teaming with good sized fish.

2EC169A2-5C32-41C0-A3A7-895E6C82F385-518

Highlight was sight fishing for those little buggers in the clam. Right over 7 feet and a nice weed bed, this was tremendous fun.

As we were picking at those greedy troopers, a big pike shot by the hole, heading dead on towards Smooth. John shouts out a piece of warning...

"big pike coming your way"

.. and I could already hear Smooth was in distress. His line peeled of the reel like he snagged a beaver. There was just no chance on the ultra light gear...and the line goes..

...tink...

13705B29-B511-4F8E-BEF0-69B32DFCFDB5-518

The perch party continued, the bite stayed hot all day, tipup produced the larger fish as per usual. But jigging little spoons in such shallow water with light gear is unbeatable for killing an afternoon in the deep freeze. New spots scoped out and a new friend made, I'd say hells yes!

Tight lines.

bugger

Edited by Bassassins

A good read and great photos as usual. Thx for posting

Thanks for enjoying them all so far!

Thanks for sharing,looked like a blast!!!!

Fishing is always a blast... lol Glad you liked it!

Nice to see u had a great day out, the pics are really cool, look forward to seeing more :clapping:

More will be coming - 2 epic adventures planned this week :) thanks for the support!

Wow that cold spell we just had was awful!!

Awesome pics and thumbs up for toughing it out there. Took my dog out for a walk every morning, after 30 seconds i could feel my cheeks burning haha.

Edited by Marko