Daiwa Ballistic vs Stradic CI4

Marko

Hey guys how is it going ?

My friend emailed me the other day and asked me for some reviews on this Daiwa Ballistic reel.

It looks like a great real but it cost jus as much as the Stradic CI4. I suggested that he should look at the Stradic`s before he purches the Daiwa reel.

Has anybody used the daiwa reel or owned one in past? I am just looking for a review or two if possible?

Which would you guys rather have ? I think i would go with the Stradic CI4

Here is a link for both

http://www.cabelas.com/spinning-reels-shimano-stradic-ci4-spinning-reel-2.shtml

http://www.cabelas.com/spinning-reels-daiwa-ballistic-spinning-reel.shtml

Thank you

I would actually look at the new Stradic... it may be a little heavier but the drag system is better than both those reals. Just feel it tell him it is quite distinct. And, its cheaper than both those. If I remember right the CI4 will be re-vamped next year where as the new Stradic was this year. Just a thought.

agree with the comments on the FJ, the Ci4 has too much rotor wobble

I do not have first hand experience with the Ballistic but judging from specs and playing with it in store, it's not that much of a reel

with the YEN dropping everyday, I would look into some JDM options

Hey Marko

I bought the Daiwa Ballistic last boxing day and have used it for lakers, steelhead, walleye & bass. I love it. If anything, I wish it did come with a spare spool though. I'll probably pick up another one shortly.

The Stradic CI4 and the Ballistic are both fine reels. Although I have not fished the Ballistic I listen to people and have heard nothing but positive comments on these reels. The new Zaion Carbon material is lighter in weight and the Air rotor is a nice touch. This reel is very smooth out of the box, not sure on it's longevity.

At 8.6oz the 2500 size is heavier. 35" retrieve on the Ballistic. Now the CI4 2500 is much more attractive in terms of weight sitting at 7.0oz and a 34" retrieve and not to mention a stronger drag at 15lb's vs Daiwa's 8.8lb drag. Both reels feature 7 ball bearings also.

I'll mention that I love my Stradic CI4 and it's probably the best value for any angler. I have played with all of them right up to the Stella's. It all comes down to more expensive gears, parts and materials. Both are durable, affordable and well made.

A couple of numbers for you, hope this helps. For $20 more I would strongly suggest picking up the Stradic CI4.

Mike

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

The Stradic CI4 and the Ballistic are both fine reels. Although I have not fished the Ballistic I listen to people and have heard nothing but positive comments on these reels. The new Zaion Carbon material is lighter in weight and the Air rotor is a nice touch. This reel is very smooth out of the box, not sure on it's longevity.

At 8.6oz the 2500 size is heavier. 35" retrieve on the Ballistic. Now the CI4 2500 is much more attractive in terms of weight sitting at 7.0oz and a 34" retrieve and not to mention a stronger drag at 15lb's vs Daiwa's 8.8lb drag. Both reels feature 7 ball bearings also.

I'll mention that I love my Stradic CI4 and it's probably the best value for any angler. I have played with all of them right up to the Stella's. It all comes down to more expensive gears, parts and materials. Both are durable, affordable and well made.

A couple of numbers for you, hope this helps. For $20 more I would strongly suggest picking up the Stradic CI4.

Mike

X1million on buying the ci4 mike!

Ah long, jdm is the devil (because their gear 99% of the time is way better!)...and $$$!

As for higher end "higher"quality gear being in a league of its own, and being built with higher tolerances etc, many ppl would be VERY surprised at how many parts are engineered with same material in same factory etc and are "generic" amongst mid-hi grade and premium reels stradic sustain stella curado chronarch calais etc......in some cases, it's humbling...(based on prior 2012 models that is)a stradic really isn't that much different then the stella at the end of the day. Trust me.

That ballistic is worlds apart from the certate.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input its much appreciated. I think he is getting Daiwa Ballistic...he said he found a great deal on ebay (under 170 dollars with shipping).

I will tell him that he wont be disappointed.

I own a Daiwa Regal Z bait runner and its awesome as well. Daiwa has come a long way when its managing to keep head to head with Shimano in North American market. I just might get one myself :P

Thanks again and stay safe in this snow storm

not a direct comparo but I have 2 cabela branded Daiwas from a couple seasons ago before they changed to the current make.

and they are absolutely fantastic.

As much as I like shimano and own them, these particular ones are head and shoulders above the shimano.

not to mention the newer crop of shimanos are cheaper made and inferior to the ones from a couple seasons ago. You don't

get price drops like they have had without compromising somewhere.

After comparing the CI4, Ballistic and Patriarch I picked up the Plueger...lighter, smoother and a carbon drag system superior to almost any factory offering.

http://www.fhcoutdoors.com/pflueger-patriarch-review/

Haven't played around Pflueger much, let's hope they have "great" warranty and customer service also :P At that price range hard to find things to complain about. CI4 for the win still :jerry:

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

After comparing the CI4, Ballistic and Patriarch I picked up the Plueger...lighter, smoother and a carbon drag system superior to almost any factory offering.

http://www.fhcoutdoors.com/pflueger-patriarch-review/

I had the same experience. I have always been a Shimano guy, but in my opinion their quality has slipped. The CI4 being a good example based on the few I examined. Used to be you could buy just about anything in their line-up and get a very servicable reel. I purchased the new Plueger Supreme last year, think that's what it's called, it's the black one. So far so good.

I currently have 3 Pflueger reels myself. Two Supreme XT's and a Patriarch.

Like them a lot, but in that specific price range I like the Daiwa better. It just feels a bit more smooth and solid.

I use the 40 size Patriarch tossing hardware for steelhead and so far it's been just okay. It is super light but the start up on the drag isn't quite as smooth as the Daiwa. Also all three Pfluegers don't take kindly to being dunked in the water. They've all required maintenance (oiling and greasing) after limited amount of use.

I do like them a lot, it's just they're maybe a tad less bulletproof than the Daiwa reels and require a bit more care.

Just my opinion...