I went ice fishing today!!!!

jay27fish

went for a walk back to the lake today with the dog and brought my auger and a couple jigging rods. there was open water around a beaver dam behind my house and the beaver was chewing a stick on the ice so i walked down the shore a bit were it was froze over and punched a hole believe it or not 4inchs of ice so i walked out 30 ft drilling along the way and dropped a line in and jigged for 10 or 15 minutes didnt see anything in the hole water was about 7 ft deep. just as i was starting to get the feeling something was about to happen the dog scratched my leg and he was shiverng so i packed it in for the day. the channel in the lake was open so i wouldnt venture very far out.

i am a trained ice and water rescue tech so i have a good feel for ice conditions. if you head out fishing on thin ice always carry ice picks i carry them in my fire gear and they make climbing out of the ice possible for 10 bucks its worth every penny. if your near the ice at all they are worth it.

went for a walk back to the lake today with the dog and brought my auger and a couple jigging rods. there was open water around a beaver dam behind my house and the beaver was chewing a stick on the ice so i walked down the shore a bit were it was froze over and punched a hole believe it or not 4inchs of ice so i walked out 30 ft drilling along the way and dropped a line in and jigged for 10 or 15 minutes didnt see anything in the hole water was about 7 ft deep. just as i was starting to get the feeling something was about to happen the dog scratched my leg and he was shiverng so i packed it in for the day. the channel in the lake was open so i wouldnt venture very far out.

i am a trained ice and water rescue tech so i have a good feel for ice conditions. if you head out fishing on thin ice always carry ice picks i carry them in my fire gear and they make climbing out of the ice possible for 10 bucks its worth every penny. if your near the ice at all they are worth it.

Great advice once again !!Thanks for the reminder.

Is the Kwarthas frozen over?

Sleepjigging

Upper Buckhorn is frozen as far as I can see from my place. I haven't checked the ice at my shoreline, but 4" or more wouldn't surprise me, my bay has been iced over for weeks.

Chemong still had some open water visible from the causeway yesterday, but it's getting there.

we've been getting fair ice on the trent river, below lock 7 for days now.. i woke up this morning and went down to the dock and there is 4-5 in. ten to 20 feet off my dock :) i know the bottom pretty well, so was safe in chippin my holes. it goes from 2-3 feet down to 20 feet pretty quick, so i started close to shore and worked out slowly. and yes pick's should be a given when going out on the ice