Walleye spoons

muddler

Just looking for ideas here. I'm going to try trolling with spoons for walleye in my local lakes next summer. The main trolling terminal gear here is the worm harnesses and minnow baits. I've read up on some sites that trolling with spoons for walleye is also a very successful technique. What I'm looking for is type, size and finishes that have been successful. I'm going to make up a bunch of spoons after Christmas. Looking at using 2 1/2" flutter spoons with various finishes.

Do spoons work by themselves or do I have to tip them with something?

All advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Muddler

I use a 3-way swivel or a bottom bouncer. In the past I would use an inline sinker but don't anymore.

One spoon that has worked for me before was the mepps siclops, get the medium sized ones in a gold colour

Edited by Tayzak15

how are you going to get them to the appropriate depth?

I use trolling sinkers.(google imgaes for the sinkers). Ilike the ones that are fish shaped. They just look nice.

trolling2_zps1fb56d33.jpg

troling1_zps11da4eee.jpg

30lb braid mainline-trolling sinker-5ft leader-spoon/bait is my setup. I use a #3 cross lock snap on the mainline so that I can change sinker easily. Trilene Big game 12lb test for a leader. That way if I hang up I don't loose the sinker.

I use 1/2, 1,2 and 3 oz sinkers. Gets me down to about 35 ft with 100-125 feet of line out with the 3oz sinker.

Using 81/2 ft ugly stick trigger trolling rod med heavy action.

Works very well for rainbows off Manitoulin Island.

Muddler

Edited by muddler

Just thought I'd pass this on.

m_Graphic1_zpsda9593d4.jpg

I use some of that rubbery packing foam and cut it to fit the box. Then I make slits about 3/4 of the way down each foam block to slide the spoons in. Saves them from banging around and scratching each other. Makes it easy to view the contents and remove/replace the spoon too.

28 spoons to a 3600 Plano type box.

Muddler