River fishing for dumbies

dhickey

So I picked up a 12'6 rod because I would like to try my hand at river fishing again. I did have a fly rod about 25 yrs ago but gave it up because all my friends were more intrested in bass /pike and wallyes.

Reading all the threads on steelheads and pin reels has got me itching to get back to the rivers.

Long and short is that I dont know anything about fishing rivers or chromeys other than I need roe/flies/streamers but preasentation is a mystry to me?

And what do I put on a shimano convergance? Reel/line/leeds?

Any help or advice would be very welcome..

Don.

If you want a pin I would recommend buying a used one off one of the boards Raven, Islander, and Kingpin are all good reels. If you want a spinning reel I would go with a Shimano Stradic . I would recommend 8 lb. test on either set up and 6 lb. flurocarbon leader . Brands for mono are numerous, but any good quality mono should do. I like drennan ,maxima, or suffix for fluro leaders.

I usually use an 8" flouro lead, mini swivel, two split shots and a #8 hook, i drift or bottom bounce til i get bit and setup from there with the float gear. Im a relative noob to steelheading too but this has worked for me this season.

If you want a pin I would recommend buying a used one off one of the boards Raven, Islander, and Kingpin are all good reels. If you want a spinning reel I would go with a Shimano Stradic . I would recommend 8 lb. test on either set up and 6 lb. flurocarbon leader . Brands for mono are numerous, but any good quality mono should do. I like drennan ,maxima, or suffix for fluro leaders.

I really like the sufix Ralph . I ran out this weekend,and used dragon fly. It,s not bad.

Edited by Misfish