Anyone float fish with a baitcaster?

Sharkbait22

Wow, that combo must be lighter than air. How's the drag on the Core?

Its a super pleasurable outfit to fish with. The strain on my body after a full day on the water has been reduced substantially. The sensitivity and rod power usually puts me firmly in control when fighting fish. Usually ;)... the odd 12+ lbr in the sticks is unpredictable...but with this setup and my line choices, it gives me much better chances than what I normally see on the river.

As you would expect the drag is as smooth as they come. I usually set it relatively light and augment with my thumb for full braking power when needed. Jumping bows affect the degree of drag vs them screaming down stream, so it requires variable drag coefficients that a thumb and drag combo can offer.

In moments when I'm blessed with good timing and an extraordinary high volume of fish, then I'll crank it right down and experiment laying the boots to them. When those opportunities arise, the fight, simply put, is just violent. Half the length of time of the usual battle, but exponentially higher force and energy felt through the rod.

Oh and I should add, that I don't use puny hooks anymore either. Gone are the 12's and 14's (unless I'm single egging) now I up size to 6's and 8's and some times even 4's for great lakes steelhead. I only fish super gin clear conditions now with a fly rod and natural flies...so don't require that super stealthy approach. My landing ratio has gone way up since then...and I have the confidence of putting as much strain as I can on the fish with minimal hook problems.

I still use a bait cast rod in the 11.5 foot length. St.croix avid steelhead, medium power, fast action. Not many rivers where you need anything over 13. You could get away with a 9 footer on our smaller streams but i wouldn't go much less. 11 ish feels just perfect to me in nearly all river types the Great Lakes has to offer. I avoid the temptation for super long drifts that a long rod can induce. Prefer to use my feet and gradually step down the pool or stretch to cover water. It's getting tougher these days with the crowds to do so...but I've abandoned heavy crowd fishing decades ago so I fare well with that approach now a days.

I know the Calcutta 200 but don't have direct personal experience with them to offer any sound advice.

I use a Shimano core 7 to 1 ratio. Does the trick nicely.

Hi Waterrunner do you mean 10.5 ft Avid? I can't find a 11.5 in their current catalog. Older model? Is that a Core 50 or 100?

AVC106MLF2 10'6" ML Fast 2 6 - 10 1⁄ 8 - 5⁄8 6.2 5 $ 260

AVC106MF2 10'6" M Fast 2 8 - 12 1 ⁄ 4 - 3 ⁄ 4 6.9 5 $ 260

I was thinking the 6-10lb range for my purposes - I fish the lower productivity waters of the north mostly.

Thanks again..

Edited by Sharkbait22

Hi Waterrunner do you mean 10.5 ft Avid? I can't find a 11.5 in their current catalog. Older model? Is that a Core 50 or 100?

AVC106MLF2 10'6" ML Fast 2 6 - 10 1⁄ 8 - 5⁄8 6.2 5 $ 260

AVC106MF2 10'6" M Fast 2 8 - 12 1 ⁄ 4 - 3 ⁄ 4 6.9 5 $ 260

I was thinking the 6-10lb range for my purposes - I fish the lower productivity waters of the north mostly.

Thanks again..

My error and apologize...it is indeed the AVC106MF2. The ML is to light for my approach. Core 50 with 7.1 ratio. If you are into longer drifts then I suggest something with a bit more line capacity. I use sunline 10lb MONO which has the smallest diameter I can find for mono, but am still experimenting with that. I don't recommend braid or flouro for main line. Braid gets messed up in freezing temps and flouro usually sinks.. Mono with line butter applicant keeps it supple and floating on the tail end of medium drift lengths. I rarely drift past 30 yards..very rarely and can still toss hardware way past that if required.

It certainly won't work with a Core 50 sized reel because it is thick line, but, P Line HydroFloat line is not only great on a pin or spin reel it also excels on a baitcaster. It's braid that not only floats but it does not take on water like regular braid (it's coated like a flyline) and it's high visibility colour as well as its floating properties make it the best line for floatfishing IMO.

Those 10'6" Avids definitely sound like the ticket but I would go with the lighter one, the ML version, as it will be more fun for any fishing in colder water where the fish don't have the same power.

It certainly won't work with a Core 50 sized reel because it is thick line, but, P Line HydroFloat line is not only great on a pin or spin reel it also excels on a baitcaster. It's braid that not only floats but it does not take on water like regular braid (it's coated like a flyline) and it's high visibility colour as well as its floating properties make it the best line for floatfishing IMO.

Those 10'6" Avids definitely sound like the ticket but I would go with the lighter one, the ML version, as it will be more fun for any fishing in colder water where the fish don't have the same power.

Great tip...I'll check that line out. The Core is just about the smallest you'd want to go or get away with. (i choose it more for weight)

I tried the ML and don't recommend it. Even if I let off and take it easy, it had a tough time taming 6lb fish or better. It reached its maximum bend to early in my opinion. It was a disappointing experience and having to go back to the shop to upgrade it was another time waster. Just my opinion...some folks really like the super spongy feel of light noodle rods. I personally think it disconnects you from the sensitivity and energy from a fish.

Trying the rod out is always great advice. Buying from a store that will swap out for a different rating is another great piece of advice.

I think sometimes if you fish with braid the whippy feel is diminished somewhat. A lot depends on how much weight you feel like chucking too. I have my 9'6" for hardware so it's a floating only rod for me. In the end I will actually turn up with my reel in hand then string the rod to see what it feels like loaded up. I know that with St Croix their Wild River vs Avid,vs Legend Elite steelhead rods all feel and perform different, as per rated parameters, than one would think. Not brand consistant like say Loomis or Fenwick.

I never used my pin all day long. In addition I used a spin rod, baitcaster on all outings. I know that pin anglers at the Whirlpool blow through line at an amazing rate because of the strong flow, and rocks as well as the need for max casts on heavy weight. Most guys use slip bobbers but they still drop tons of line from twist, abrasion and casting issues. The travails of being a one rod angler I think. Possibly you have to change out the Hydro line frequently. Even with the expense and hassle I like the Hydrofloat to the same point I like braid on every other rig I own. I never use mono of any sort except for leader.

I love the baitcaster, especially when the old guy at the 'Geen kicks everyone's ass with it, lol!

His name is Vern...also a rod builder and key figure with LHFC ...Fantastic man...it just so happens its his preferred technique...He could have used a rake instead of broom here though... :whistling: but in the end...the job gets done..and everythjing else...doesnt really matter

DSC_8781.jpg